Posts Tagged: ‘Wrestling’
by Robert Lamb | January 24, 2013
Kayfabe, for those of your not in the know, is the traditional carny code of pro-wrestling. In short, you can boil it all down to “don’t tell the fans how the magic works.” Or you wax philosophic and see it as A “Complete example of the general process by which a wide class of important endeavors transition from failed reality to successful fakery.” That quote comes from economist and mathematician Eric Weinstein and as soon as we read it, we knew the time for pro-wrestling episode was upon us.
I never expected bring up professional wrestling in a science blog, but that was before NOVA’s “The Secret Life of Scientists and Engineers” devoted an episode to microbiologist Rachel Collins.
In her day job, Rachel tests antibiotics on various strains of bacteria for a Saint Louis lab. On the weekends, however, she laces up her green and black boots and climbs into the wrestling ring as “MsChif.”
Are you a parent? Are your kids playing sports? Or are you a person who spends a lot of time in a gym? Here’s something new to worry about. In the following article you will learn that MRSA is a real threat, and it affects a surprising number of athletes: This is a staph infection […]
Before I write about Slang’s wrestling game Lucha Libre, I have to get something off my chest: I’m a wrestling fan. In kayfabe terms — the behind-the-scenes language wrestlers use to talk about the business — I’m a mark. So keep that fact in mind when you read about my visit to Slang’s booth at E3.
In the following video, John Brenkus submits to a choke hold (specifically a “rear naked choke”) by BJ Penn in order to understand the effects of a choke hold on the human brain. It only takes 9 seconds for him to become unconscious…
Recent Postings by Category
- Thank You and Best Wishes to Marshall Brain
- Contest – Design a $300 house and win $25,000
- How the Philtrum works – the place under your nose where your face comes together
The Coolest Stuff on the Planet
- Why can a 5 foot 8 inch man dunk a basketball on a 10 foot rim while some people of taller stature can’t?
- What happens to our sun once it runs out of fuel?
- How do we know the age of the universe?
Stuff Mom Never Told You
Stuff to Blow Your Mind
- Blow Your Mind: Slay Your Paper Tigers
- Space Religion: Cao Dai and the 72 Inhabited Exoplanets
- Blow the Mind: Objects of Love
Stuff You Should Know
- “In The Neighborhood” by Jon Stewart Mosman
- “Frame Story” by Adam Pracht
- “Thanatos” by Christopher Vincola
The Stuff of Genius
- Show Notes: Heart-stopping Last Laps of Racing
- Never say Never: Jaguar XJ220 Spotted in the Wild!
- What’s your pick for the 2013 Indianapolis 500 pace car?
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 152: Final Episodes
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 151: Mailbag!
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 150: Barbie!
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know
Stuff to Change the World
- Who will own the Arctic?
- Obesity: The New Global Crisis
- Bill Gates Makes For A Pretty Decent Cartoon
Stuff You Missed in History Class
- Missed in History: The Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters
- Missed in History: The Disappearance of Judge Crater
- Missed in History: Maurice Duplessis