Posts Tagged: ‘world records’
According to this article, there is a corpse flower blooming right now in Switzerland. It’s a big deal because it is a rare event: What a stinker! World’s smelliest flower opens for the first time in 75 YEARS For botanists, it doesn’t get more exciting than this – after 75 years, the Titan Arum plant […]
Anyone who has ever played with Hot Wheel cars knows that there are two staples in the track layout arena: There is the loop, and there is the jump. At the Indy 500 this year, they are scaling the jump up to real life: World-Record Jump Attempt Set for Indianapolis 500 A dedicated crew of […]
This article identifies the world’s second deadliest toxin – a substance called palytoxin: World’s 2nd deadliest poison, in an aquarium store near you Venom enthusiasts know that the potency of poisons is measured using the LD-50 – the dose that will kill half a group of mice after a set time. The most venomous snake […]
The world’s most expensive dog has been crowned – it’s price set at nearly £1million or $1.5 million according to this article: The million-pound mutt: Red Tibetan Mastiff becomes world’s most expensive dog A red Tibetan mastiff has become the priciest dog in the world after being sold for 10 million Chinese yuan, or £945,000. […]
In the movie “Up”, a house floats using normal helium balloons that you might find at a birthday party: Could this ever happen in real life? Probably not, because real houses are really heavy. The Sheetrock alone weighs many tons. But if you stripped down a house to its barest essentials, used foam for the […]
The photographs of the world’s largest Cylindrical Aquarium are amazing: AquaDome, the largest Cylindrical Aquarium Elevator The video even more so: The aquarium in the lobby of the Radisson Blu Hotel in Berlin. A million liters of saltwater, thousands of fish and 13 million Euros spent for the aquarium alone. Opened up 2003. This is […]
The Guinness Book of World Records has named the world’s hairiest girl: The ‘wolf child’ delighted to be named the world’s hairiest girl – because it makes her more POPULAR at school Supatra is one of just 50 known sufferers of Ambras Syndrome – caused by a faulty chromosome – to be documented since the […]
This week at the Australian Open, we witnessed an amazing 39-shot rally between Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray: But that is not the world record. The world record is a 45-shot rally between Lleyton Hewitt & Roger Federer that is even more amazing: [[[World Record #160 – Surfing for 26 consecutive hours, riding 147 waves]]] […]
by Marshall Brain | January 24, 2011
This video describes one man’s successful attempt to break the world record for the longest surfing session. He surfed for 26 consecutive hours and rode 147 waves: What could have gone wrong? For one thing, there is this risk – 25 foot waves: – Surfer Seriously Injured At Mavericks Surf Spot (video) – “The surfer, […]
Recent Postings by Category
- Thank You and Best Wishes to Marshall Brain
- Contest – Design a $300 house and win $25,000
- How the Philtrum works – the place under your nose where your face comes together
The Coolest Stuff on the Planet
- Why can a 5 foot 8 inch man dunk a basketball on a 10 foot rim while some people of taller stature can’t?
- What happens to our sun once it runs out of fuel?
- How do we know the age of the universe?
Stuff Mom Never Told You
Stuff to Blow Your Mind
- Blow Your Mind: Slay Your Paper Tigers
- Space Religion: Cao Dai and the 72 Inhabited Exoplanets
- Blow the Mind: Objects of Love
Stuff You Should Know
- “In The Neighborhood” by Jon Stewart Mosman
- “Frame Story” by Adam Pracht
- “Thanatos” by Christopher Vincola
The Stuff of Genius
- Show Notes: Heart-stopping Last Laps of Racing
- Never say Never: Jaguar XJ220 Spotted in the Wild!
- What’s your pick for the 2013 Indianapolis 500 pace car?
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 152: Final Episodes
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 151: Mailbag!
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 150: Barbie!
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know
Stuff to Change the World
- Who will own the Arctic?
- Obesity: The New Global Crisis
- Bill Gates Makes For A Pretty Decent Cartoon
Stuff You Missed in History Class
- Missed in History: Irish Potato Famine, Part 2
- Missed in History: Irish Potato Famine, Part 1
- Missed in History: Paul Poiret