Posts Tagged: ‘washing machines’
by Cristen Conger | February 21, 2013
At the end of a long workday, cooking a dinner from scratch or even semi-scratch might seem like a herculean feat. There’s all that washing, chopping, boiling and sauteing involved, after all. But, as any Downton Abbey fan can attest, getting meals on the table used to be far more time- and labor-intensive, in part due to the quality that was expected without modern appliances…
by Marshall Brain | March 23, 2011
In this TED talk, Hans Rosling breaks down the population of the world by income and points out the one invention that every human being wants and needs – the washing machine. You might be thinking, “the washing machine???” Wait until he explains it: As I watch this video, there are so many thoughts that […]
by Marshall Brain | November 12, 2010
It’s coming to be that time of year, when magazines, web sites and news outlets start publishing their “best of” lists for 2010. Here’s one of the first and it is in a HSW sweet spot – Time’s list of the best inventions: The 50 Best Inventions of 2010 The list is broken into sections: […]
If you own a dishwasher or a washing machine, chances are that you are using way too much soap in them, according to this article: For the Dishwasher’s Sake, Go Easy on the Detergent The No. 1 sin, according to repair people and appliance experts, seems to be adding too much soap to washing machines […]
Recent Postings by Category
- Thank You and Best Wishes to Marshall Brain
- Contest – Design a $300 house and win $25,000
- How the Philtrum works – the place under your nose where your face comes together
The Coolest Stuff on the Planet
- Why can a 5 foot 8 inch man dunk a basketball on a 10 foot rim while some people of taller stature can’t?
- What happens to our sun once it runs out of fuel?
- How do we know the age of the universe?
Stuff Mom Never Told You
- Are calorie counts on fast food menus effective?
- 237 Reasons Humans Have Sex
- The Wedding Ring Phenomenon
Stuff to Blow Your Mind
- Blow Your Mind: Slay Your Paper Tigers
- Space Religion: Cao Dai and the 72 Inhabited Exoplanets
- Blow the Mind: Objects of Love
Stuff You Should Know
- “In The Neighborhood” by Jon Stewart Mosman
- “Thanatos” by Christopher Vincola
- “Frame Story” by Adam Pracht
The Stuff of Genius
- Show Notes: Heart-stopping Last Laps of Racing
- Never say Never: Jaguar XJ220 Spotted in the Wild!
- What’s your pick for the 2013 Indianapolis 500 pace car?
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 152: Final Episodes
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 151: Mailbag!
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 150: Barbie!
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know
Stuff to Change the World
- Who will own the Arctic?
- Obesity: The New Global Crisis
- Bill Gates Makes For A Pretty Decent Cartoon
Stuff You Missed in History Class
- Missed in History: Irish Potato Famine, Part 1
- Missed in History: Paul Poiret
- Missed in History: Benjamin Banneker