Posts Tagged: ‘TV shows’
by Tracy V. Wilson | January 22, 2013
“Downton Abbey”! It’s a runaway hit by PBS standards. And, really, by premium cable drama standards. Which is … weird. Especially if you, like, me grew up under the specter of PBS shame, thanks to your love of “Square One.”
by Tracy V. Wilson | January 9, 2013
In case you’re in the dark on this: Pregnancies as shown on scripted TV are pretty dumb. They just don’t play out the way they do in real life … pretty much all the time. And a few recent episodes led me to need to talk about that a lot.
by Tracy V. Wilson | December 19, 2012
I was so happy more than one person asked us to talk about “Doctor Who.” I love “Doctor Who, and I was kind of afraid that if we talked about it, no one would really care but me. Also, the Internet would like you to know that the Doctor will totally save us on 12/21/2012.
by Tracy V. Wilson | November 27, 2012
We’ve all experienced the heartbreak of losing a favorite show too soon. It’s pretty common knowledge that bad ratings are the usual cause of a show’s demise, but it turns out, there are many reasons ratings suffer. This time, we look at the factors that make shows, good and bad, disappear.
by Tracy V. Wilson | September 5, 2012
It’s our hundredth episode! We are quite pleased with ourselves. We’re so pleased with ourselves that we decided to spend a whole episode talking about hundredth episodes.
Holly and I love TV. Otherwise we wouldn’t be doing this podcast. But today’s TV … man it is dark. Killing and violence and terrible, terrible people. So , following the lead of our (much lighter) “How to Build a Southerner for Your TV Show or Movie,” we’re looking at the building blocks of these very upsetting shows.
by Tracy V. Wilson | July 18, 2012
Holly and her husband bought a house with the intent to renovate it themselves. Crazy, right? I, on the other hand, bought a house and have basically done squat as far as fixing it up. That’s not really what drove us to talk about DIY shows, but we do both have an ongoing interest in […]
by Tracy V. Wilson | June 6, 2012
Know what I hate? Cliffhangers. Holly doesn’t mind them so much, but the more cliffhangers a show has, the more likely I am to check out on it. Here are some of the whats and whys we talked about.
I’ve lived in the South all my life. Holly has lived all over, but she’s in the South now, too. And we’ve taken this opportunity to get all riled up about how the South and southerners are portrayed in the worlds of television and film. It’s not that no one in the South does the things we’re talking about … it’s that the portrayals stick mostly to the same tropes and traits.
by Tracy V. Wilson | December 26, 2011
I’m Holly’s boss, and this episode is about terrible bosses, so recording this episode wasn’t awkward at all. I kid. We talk about good bosses, too.
Recent Postings by Category
- Thank You and Best Wishes to Marshall Brain
- Contest – Design a $300 house and win $25,000
- How the Philtrum works – the place under your nose where your face comes together
The Coolest Stuff on the Planet
- Why can a 5 foot 8 inch man dunk a basketball on a 10 foot rim while some people of taller stature can’t?
- What happens to our sun once it runs out of fuel?
- How do we know the age of the universe?
Stuff Mom Never Told You
Stuff to Blow Your Mind
- Blow Your Mind: Slay Your Paper Tigers
- Space Religion: Cao Dai and the 72 Inhabited Exoplanets
- Blow the Mind: Objects of Love
Stuff You Should Know
- “In The Neighborhood” by Jon Stewart Mosman
- “Frame Story” by Adam Pracht
- “Thanatos” by Christopher Vincola
The Stuff of Genius
- Show Notes: Heart-stopping Last Laps of Racing
- Never say Never: Jaguar XJ220 Spotted in the Wild!
- What’s your pick for the 2013 Indianapolis 500 pace car?
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 152: Final Episodes
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 151: Mailbag!
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 150: Barbie!
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know
Stuff to Change the World
- Who will own the Arctic?
- Obesity: The New Global Crisis
- Bill Gates Makes For A Pretty Decent Cartoon
Stuff You Missed in History Class
- Missed in History: Sei Shonagon
- Missed in History: The Boston Massacre
- Missed in History: Zenobia (Revisited)