Posts Tagged: ‘The Coolest Stuff on the Planet podcast’
The Arc de Triomphe is one of the most famous monuments in Paris, but why was it built? Is it just there to look pretty? In this episode, Rachel and Matt lead you on a triumphal tour of the world’s biggest commemorative arch.
Northern Peru’s Chan Chan Archaeological Zone is a massive complex that was once the capital of the Chimu civilization. But who were the Chimu? Why’d they build such a big city? Find out in this episode as you take a virtual tour of Chan Chan’s ruins.
These days, the Eiffel Tower is a beloved Parisian icon, but it wasn’t always so popular. In this episode, Matt and Rachel explore the fascinating history, evolution and surprising attractions of France’s most iconic iron structure.
The Roman Forum is the ultimate public square. Over the centuries it’s been used as a market place, a court and everything between. Tune in to learn more about the astonishing Forum — and how it’s used today.
Okay, so Brussels is a foodie paradise, but this European capital has a lot more to offer than food. Rachel and Matt explore the architectural and cultural delights of Brussels, from the sublime to the silly, in this episode.
The European city of Brussels has a lot going for it: food, culture, comic strips, cafes. And did we mention food?! In part one of a two-part series, Matt and Rachel take you on a delightful, delicious tour of Belgium’s capital.
The Day of the Dead might seem like a Mexican version of Halloween; but, in fact, this ancient tradition has a very different focus. In this episode, Matt and Rachel explore the origins, traditions and significance of “El Dia de Los Muertos.”
Bran Castle is often hyped as “Dracula’s Castle,” the fortress of the historical figure who inspired the “Dracula” novel and legend. But is it really? And who was this Vlad Dracula guy, anyway? Matt and Rachel unravel the mystery in this episode.
Unable to resist the charms of the Alhambra, Matt and Rachel take a second look at Granada’s mesmerizing Moorish masterpiece in part two of their series.
As promised, Rachel and Matt are taking you back to Granada for some “Moorish palace action!” Feast your eyes on some of the Alhambra’s dazzling designs and decorative elements as you learn some Cool trivia along the way in this episode.
Recent Postings by Category
- Thank You and Best Wishes to Marshall Brain
- Contest – Design a $300 house and win $25,000
- How the Philtrum works – the place under your nose where your face comes together
The Coolest Stuff on the Planet
- Why can a 5 foot 8 inch man dunk a basketball on a 10 foot rim while some people of taller stature can’t?
- What happens to our sun once it runs out of fuel?
- How do we know the age of the universe?
Stuff Mom Never Told You
Stuff to Blow Your Mind
- Blow Your Mind: Slay Your Paper Tigers
- Space Religion: Cao Dai and the 72 Inhabited Exoplanets
- Blow the Mind: Objects of Love
Stuff You Should Know
- “In The Neighborhood” by Jon Stewart Mosman
- “Frame Story” by Adam Pracht
- “Thanatos” by Christopher Vincola
The Stuff of Genius
- Show Notes: Heart-stopping Last Laps of Racing
- Never say Never: Jaguar XJ220 Spotted in the Wild!
- What’s your pick for the 2013 Indianapolis 500 pace car?
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 152: Final Episodes
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 151: Mailbag!
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 150: Barbie!
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know
Stuff to Change the World
- Who will own the Arctic?
- Obesity: The New Global Crisis
- Bill Gates Makes For A Pretty Decent Cartoon
Stuff You Missed in History Class
- Missed in History: The Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters
- Missed in History: The Disappearance of Judge Crater
- Missed in History: Maurice Duplessis