Posts Tagged: ‘thanksgiving’
Thanksgiving is over and, if you’re like so many Americans, you’re probably still feeling the bloated effects.
Not a U.S. resident? Well, then maybe you just get to observe turkey feasting and comfort addiction in others.
Either way, these two episodes should still fascinate you.
We’re super excited about Thanksgiving, because: food. And since every food episode we do gets lots of excited food e-mail, we thought one on Thanksgiving food might be a good plan.
by Tracy V. Wilson | November 23, 2011
I can think of lots of Christmas movies. Some New Year’s movies, too. But before recording this podcast, if you’d asked me to name even one Thanksgiving movie, I would have stared at you for a minute before saying, “The Peanuts did a thing, right?” It turns out there are Thanksgiving movies — and the same themes crop up in a lot of them.
by Robert Lamb | November 22, 2011
So once more residents of the United States find themselves on a collision course with the Thanksgiving holiday. Some of us make a point of celebrating it, some are obligated and others disregard it as much as possible. Between the traditional turkey gluttony and America’s historical mistreatment of Native Americans, there are certainly some good excuses to abstain. Growing up. I didn’t really care about the whole gratitude thing to be honest. Today, however, it feels appropriate to think a bit about what’s good in life and how little I’ve done to diverse any of it — and it looks like science backs me up on that.
Whether they’re building blood banks or conveniences like air conditioning and the world wide web, inventors have given us a lot to be thankful for. Tune in and watch as we thank three inventors in particular in this special Thanksgiving episode.
The holidays can be a lot of fun, bringing joy in many ways. Personally, one of my favorite things about the entire holiday season is the food. OK, I do enjoy eating — but there’s something I enjoy even more — and that’s making all the tasty holiday fare. If you’re like me, you love to cook. But if you’re also like me, sometimes you just don’t have time to do it the way you want to, and you have to find the easiest and FASTEST way from supermarket to dinner table. Typically, the holidays are different. There’s time [or you find a way to make time] to do it all — yes, in true Martha fashion — brining, basting, baking and everything else. But what do you do when you’re hosting and time isn’t on your side?
In honor of Thanksgiving, here are 5 fun, surprising facts about turkeys: Who would have thought that turkeys were capable of parthenogenesis? Turkey facts – Among other things: “45 million turkeys are cooked and eaten in the U.S. at Thanksgiving.” More info: Different ways to cook a turkey See also Turkey Trivia: And: Wrong Turkey […]
Have you ever been to Plimoth Plantation in Plymouth, Mass.? I ask this because, you know, tomorrow is Thanksgiving, which got me thinking about pilgrims and whatnot. Also, I went to Plimoth Plantation when I was about eight years old. I remember that the plantation overlooked the ocean, and that the sky and the water were so blue it almost hurt.
Recent Postings by Category
- Thank You and Best Wishes to Marshall Brain
- Contest – Design a $300 house and win $25,000
- How the Philtrum works – the place under your nose where your face comes together
The Coolest Stuff on the Planet
- Why can a 5 foot 8 inch man dunk a basketball on a 10 foot rim while some people of taller stature can’t?
- What happens to our sun once it runs out of fuel?
- How do we know the age of the universe?
Stuff Mom Never Told You
Stuff to Blow Your Mind
- Blow Your Mind: Slay Your Paper Tigers
- Space Religion: Cao Dai and the 72 Inhabited Exoplanets
- Blow the Mind: Objects of Love
Stuff You Should Know
- “In The Neighborhood” by Jon Stewart Mosman
- “Frame Story” by Adam Pracht
- “Thanatos” by Christopher Vincola
The Stuff of Genius
- Show Notes: Heart-stopping Last Laps of Racing
- Never say Never: Jaguar XJ220 Spotted in the Wild!
- What’s your pick for the 2013 Indianapolis 500 pace car?
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 152: Final Episodes
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 151: Mailbag!
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 150: Barbie!
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know
Stuff to Change the World
- Who will own the Arctic?
- Obesity: The New Global Crisis
- Bill Gates Makes For A Pretty Decent Cartoon
Stuff You Missed in History Class
- Missed in History: The Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters
- Missed in History: The Disappearance of Judge Crater
- Missed in History: Maurice Duplessis