Posts Tagged: ‘supercar’
by Scott C. Benjamin | March 20, 2013
I was so excited to see this car on my way home from the office yesterday! A Jaguar XJ220 is an extremely rare sight. How rare? Jaguar initially planned to build 350 of these supercars in the early 1990s, but in the end they only built about 265. And even then, Jaguar couldn’t sell the ones it built because the entire supercar market was taking a hit at that time. Too bad — it’s an amazing car. And it’s much bigger than I expected. Long, low and wide…
And no, it’s not some anemic, wedge-shaped city car, either. For that hefty price tag you get the staggering performance of the 2014 McLaren P1 supercar. How fast is it? Well, it’s 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in “less than three seconds” fast. And that, along with a top speed of 350 km/h (218 mph), puts it in a very exclusive group of cars…
It was a concept car in 2009, and now it is a real car being manufactured in California. It’s called the Fisker Karma and it is a plug-in hybrid that should be able to compete with cars like the Chevy Volt and Tesla Roadster. Here’s a look: More info: First Drive: 2012 Fisker Karma And […]
by Marshall Brain | March 2, 2011
What if you can’t get all the horsepower you want from a single v8 engine? One option is to combine two V8s in a single car. That is the design idea behind the Priapism from Sire Custom Performance. You can see the car and hear about its design philosophy here: These videos show the car […]
The 2011 Audi R8 with its optional 5.2 liter V10 engine already has 525 horsepower. It can go zero to 60 in 3.7 seconds. What if you add a supercharger with 7.5 pounds of boost (along with some better tires, etc.)? Zero to 60 time drops to 3.1 seconds. It is truly a supercar. See […]
A review of the 2012 McLaren MP4-12C: According to this article: The MP4-12C has achieved all its performance targets in the same calculated fashion of its winning F1 team. It appeals to “in-the-know” car enthusiasts who prefer their supercars understated, a different path than Ferrari, which wows its customers with more emotional appeal. With a […]
John Hennessey is a tuner whose tuning hobby turned into an incredible niche business. He takes fast cars and makes them much faster. Here he describes how the business got started. The video also shows an attempt at setting a new world record using a Hennessey-tuned 1,450 HP Viper: Now it looks like Hennessey is […]
Many Supercars easily could be viewed as sculpture. So imagine a house with a nine-car garage. Now imagine that garage in the basement, with an elevator that lifts one car up into the living room for display. You would have this house, located in Japan: – KRE House – Driven by Enthusiasm This is not […]
As supercars go, the Tramontana R has it all – exotic looks, incredible specs, amazing performance. This video describes it as a combination of a Formula One car and a fighter jet: See also this ad: And this montage : Motor Trend reviewed the car and listed its amazing specifications: The Ultimate Toy? Meet the […]
The Lexus LFA is scheduled for delivery in 2011. It will be a carbon/aluminum bodied, 4.8 liter V-10 powered, 552 HP supercar in the $400,000 range. One of the more interesting things about the LFA is the behind-the-scenes technology going into its production. For example, there is this amazing rotary loom for weaving graphite strands […]
Recent Postings by Category
- Thank You and Best Wishes to Marshall Brain
- Contest – Design a $300 house and win $25,000
- How the Philtrum works – the place under your nose where your face comes together
The Coolest Stuff on the Planet
- Why can a 5 foot 8 inch man dunk a basketball on a 10 foot rim while some people of taller stature can’t?
- What happens to our sun once it runs out of fuel?
- How do we know the age of the universe?
Stuff Mom Never Told You
Stuff to Blow Your Mind
- Blow Your Mind: Slay Your Paper Tigers
- Space Religion: Cao Dai and the 72 Inhabited Exoplanets
- Blow the Mind: Objects of Love
Stuff You Should Know
- “In The Neighborhood” by Jon Stewart Mosman
- “Thanatos” by Christopher Vincola
- “Frame Story” by Adam Pracht
The Stuff of Genius
- Show Notes: Heart-stopping Last Laps of Racing
- Never say Never: Jaguar XJ220 Spotted in the Wild!
- What’s your pick for the 2013 Indianapolis 500 pace car?
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 152: Final Episodes
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 151: Mailbag!
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 150: Barbie!
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know
Stuff to Change the World
- Who will own the Arctic?
- Obesity: The New Global Crisis
- Bill Gates Makes For A Pretty Decent Cartoon
Stuff You Missed in History Class
- Missed in History: The Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters
- Missed in History: The Disappearance of Judge Crater
- Missed in History: Maurice Duplessis