Posts Tagged: ‘Stuff You Should Know’
Hello, folks. Sorry for the absence, but the podcast goodness leg of the SYSK podcast program is back in full effect. Welcome to new readers, and hello to the old standbys. This week on the show we covered a couple of topics that are kind of weird when paired together — tickling and stagflation.
In this spooky episode of Stuff You Should Know, Josh and Chuck get you ready for Halloween as they narrate H.P. Lovecraft’s creepy tale “The Tomb.” Tune in to learn more…if you dare!
All of us have experienced the feeling of jealousy at some point or another. But why do we get jealous? Are women really more jealous than men? Josh and Chuck get to the bottom of jealousy in this episode.
Hallucinogenic drugs are currently illegal, but they were once commonly used in psychological treatment. In this episode, Josh and Chuck discuss the rise and fall of psychedelics in treating mood disorders — and why they’re starting to gain favor again.
In this episode, Josh and Chuck take a comprehensive look at gender identity “disorders” and the gender reassignment process.
Traditionally, house swapping involves temporarily exchanging homes with a stranger for vacation purposes. Tune in to learn more about house swapping, from the traditional version to hospitality exchanges and couchsurfing, in this episode.
Sleep is a restorative state that’s vital to human functioning — or is it? In this episode, Josh and Chuck explore different ways in which science is trying to minimize or phase out sleep, from pills to genetic research.
In medieval times, knights were warriors with specialized skills, extensive training and their own code. In this episode, Josh and Chuck discuss the rise and fall of medieval knights and finish up with a look at the modern institution of knighthood.
Polygamy, the practice of having multiple spouses, is mostly illegal in the United States but very common in other parts of the world. In this episode, Josh and Chuck discuss polygamy and touch on a host of related topics, from Mormonism to monogamy.
If you’re tone deaf, you can’t hear the difference between musical pitches and notes. And it’s probably a hereditary trait, as Josh and Chuck explain in this pitch-perfect episode on tone deafness.
Recent Postings by Category
- Thank You and Best Wishes to Marshall Brain
- Contest – Design a $300 house and win $25,000
- How the Philtrum works – the place under your nose where your face comes together
The Coolest Stuff on the Planet
- Why can a 5 foot 8 inch man dunk a basketball on a 10 foot rim while some people of taller stature can’t?
- What happens to our sun once it runs out of fuel?
- How do we know the age of the universe?
Stuff Mom Never Told You
Stuff to Blow Your Mind
- Blow Your Mind: Slay Your Paper Tigers
- Space Religion: Cao Dai and the 72 Inhabited Exoplanets
- Blow the Mind: Objects of Love
Stuff You Should Know
- “In The Neighborhood” by Jon Stewart Mosman
- “Frame Story” by Adam Pracht
- “Thanatos” by Christopher Vincola
The Stuff of Genius
- Show Notes: Heart-stopping Last Laps of Racing
- Never say Never: Jaguar XJ220 Spotted in the Wild!
- What’s your pick for the 2013 Indianapolis 500 pace car?
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 152: Final Episodes
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 151: Mailbag!
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 150: Barbie!
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know
Stuff to Change the World
- Who will own the Arctic?
- Obesity: The New Global Crisis
- Bill Gates Makes For A Pretty Decent Cartoon
Stuff You Missed in History Class
- Missed in History: The Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters
- Missed in History: The Disappearance of Judge Crater
- Missed in History: Maurice Duplessis