Posts Tagged: ‘space elevators’
Listener Peter Krahn (who runs the awesomely sci-fi record label King Deluxe) is always swapping cool links with us over at the STBYM FaceBook page. He recently shared a couple of cool space elevator videos, though I thought I’d collect them here for everyone’s viewing pleasure. The first one is an animated short called “Thursday” from Matthias Hoegg and the second is a bit darker, more serious live-action short titled “Payload.” What would the world be like if we had space elevators? These imaginative artists try to answer that question…
There’s a part in William Gibson’s cyberpunk classic “Neuromancer” where one character waxes poetic over the prospect of human beings falling in league with a pair of rogue artificial intelligences. “For thousands of years men dreamed of pacts with demons,” the character says. “Only now are such things possible.”
Advanced technology makes the mythic possible, and as Arthur C. Clarke so succinctly put it, “any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.” Which brings me to the most recent pair of Stuff From the Science Lab podcasts! You can find us on iTunes, download the MP3s from the RSS feed or click on the Stuff From the Science Lab icon in the right-hand column to access the embedded player.
Recent Postings by Category
- Thank You and Best Wishes to Marshall Brain
- Contest – Design a $300 house and win $25,000
- How the Philtrum works – the place under your nose where your face comes together
The Coolest Stuff on the Planet
- Why can a 5 foot 8 inch man dunk a basketball on a 10 foot rim while some people of taller stature can’t?
- What happens to our sun once it runs out of fuel?
- How do we know the age of the universe?
Stuff Mom Never Told You
- Do women have neater handwriting than men?
- Is learning cursive handwriting good for kids’ brains?
- Does motherhood improve brainpower?
Stuff to Blow Your Mind
- Blow Your Mind: Slay Your Paper Tigers
- Space Religion: Cao Dai and the 72 Inhabited Exoplanets
- Blow the Mind: Objects of Love
Stuff You Should Know
- “In The Neighborhood” by Jon Stewart Mosman
- “Frame Story” by Adam Pracht
- “Thanatos” by Christopher Vincola
The Stuff of Genius
- Show Notes: Heart-stopping Last Laps of Racing
- Never say Never: Jaguar XJ220 Spotted in the Wild!
- What’s your pick for the 2013 Indianapolis 500 pace car?
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 152: Final Episodes
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 151: Mailbag!
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 150: Barbie!
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know
Stuff to Change the World
- Who will own the Arctic?
- Obesity: The New Global Crisis
- Bill Gates Makes For A Pretty Decent Cartoon