Posts Tagged: ‘smiling’
If Instagram had existed during the Victorian era, selfies would probably contain a lot more prune-face than “duckface.” By the mid-19th century, camera technology was still in its infancy, and exposure took several minutes. Beginning in the first British photo studio, as academic Christina Kotchemidova discovered, photographers would request patrons to say “prunes” instead of “cheese” to make them purse their lips together.
When I was in college, I earned extra money on the weekends as a catering waiter. It was as terrible as “Party Down” would have you believe, the entire feeling of the experience summed up in an exchange that happened during a wedding reception. That night, things already weren’t going well, as I accidentally burned one of the staff captains with boiling water before guests had even arrived. Toward the end of the evening, after dinner plates had been cleared, and we were busily refilling coffee — a task that I approached with trepidation since I had already scalded someone only hours earlier — my mounting exhaustion quickly shifted to anger when one of the male guests turned to me with a tipsy smirk and said, “C’mon honey, why don’t you smile?”
I forced a closed-mouth grin and continued making my way around his table.
Recent Postings by Category
- Thank You and Best Wishes to Marshall Brain
- Contest – Design a $300 house and win $25,000
- How the Philtrum works – the place under your nose where your face comes together
The Coolest Stuff on the Planet
- Why can a 5 foot 8 inch man dunk a basketball on a 10 foot rim while some people of taller stature can’t?
- What happens to our sun once it runs out of fuel?
- How do we know the age of the universe?
Stuff Mom Never Told You
Stuff to Blow Your Mind
- Blow Your Mind: Slay Your Paper Tigers
- Space Religion: Cao Dai and the 72 Inhabited Exoplanets
- Blow the Mind: Objects of Love
Stuff You Should Know
- “In The Neighborhood” by Jon Stewart Mosman
- “Thanatos” by Christopher Vincola
- “Frame Story” by Adam Pracht
The Stuff of Genius
- Show Notes: Heart-stopping Last Laps of Racing
- Never say Never: Jaguar XJ220 Spotted in the Wild!
- What’s your pick for the 2013 Indianapolis 500 pace car?
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 152: Final Episodes
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 151: Mailbag!
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 150: Barbie!
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know
Stuff to Change the World
- Who will own the Arctic?
- Obesity: The New Global Crisis
- Bill Gates Makes For A Pretty Decent Cartoon
Stuff You Missed in History Class
- Missed in History: The Axman of New Orleans Part 1
- Missed in History: Sei Shonagon
- Missed in History: The Boston Massacre