Posts Tagged: ‘prosthetics’
As doctors, scientists and engineers build better robotic prosthetics, some tricky ethical questions arise. One of those questions can be worded this way: Is it ethical to amputate a limb in order to replace it with a robotic prosthesis? Some people won’t raise an eyebrow to such a question. Others might feel that choosing to lose a flesh-and-blood limb in order to gain a robotic one is wrong. In fact, those arguments are taking place in the real world right now.
This video shows a armless person controlling a robotic replacement arm using wiring from his chest muscles. The level of control that he has is amazing compared to prior prosthetics: Amputees regain control with bionic arm wired to chest Jesse Sullivan, the man in this video, is using one of the most high-tech prosthetic arms […]
If you have ever looked at the prosthetic marketplace, you know that things like prosthetic arms are expensive. This page lays out the cost factor like this: Depending on the degree of amputation, today’s state of the art prosthetic arms can cost patients about $100,000 or more. DEKA’s goal is to keep the cost of […]
This is one of those videos that you watch with your mouth hanging open… Rotationplasty is fairly common. Here is a girl named Ashley who had the procedure done after bone cancer: Stretching the ankle after rotationplasty: If you would like to follow Brainstuff on Twitter or Facebook, here are the links: – Follow Brainstuff […]
by Marshall Brain | October 22, 2010
For more than a hundred years, people have been using the hook as the grapser on the end of a wooden or plastic prosthetic arm. Here’s how it works: According to users it is surprisingly useful. But it is obviously not a hand. The state of the art in prosthetic arms is moving rapidly forward, […]
Recent Postings by Category
- Thank You and Best Wishes to Marshall Brain
- Contest – Design a $300 house and win $25,000
- How the Philtrum works – the place under your nose where your face comes together
The Coolest Stuff on the Planet
- Why can a 5 foot 8 inch man dunk a basketball on a 10 foot rim while some people of taller stature can’t?
- What happens to our sun once it runs out of fuel?
- How do we know the age of the universe?
Stuff Mom Never Told You
- How Sad Breakup Songs Make Us Feel Better
- 18th-Century Mayonnaise
- Do women have neater handwriting than men?
Stuff to Blow Your Mind
- Blow Your Mind: Slay Your Paper Tigers
- Space Religion: Cao Dai and the 72 Inhabited Exoplanets
- Blow the Mind: Objects of Love
Stuff You Should Know
- “In The Neighborhood” by Jon Stewart Mosman
- “Thanatos” by Christopher Vincola
- “Frame Story” by Adam Pracht
The Stuff of Genius
- Show Notes: Heart-stopping Last Laps of Racing
- Never say Never: Jaguar XJ220 Spotted in the Wild!
- What’s your pick for the 2013 Indianapolis 500 pace car?
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 152: Final Episodes
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 151: Mailbag!
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 150: Barbie!
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know
Stuff to Change the World
- Who will own the Arctic?
- Obesity: The New Global Crisis
- Bill Gates Makes For A Pretty Decent Cartoon