Posts Tagged: ‘PopStuff Show Notes’
This is the last episode of PopStuff, so we’re talking about last episodes. Holly and I aren’t disappearing entirely, though. Our first episode of Stuff You Missed in History Class together came out on Monday.
We’ve announced that PopStuff is, sadly, ending. So this week’s episodes are our attempt to give it a fitting finish. Today, it’s all about our listeners as we dive through the mailbag for some of the best messages we haven’t been able to read. We’ve gotten hundreds of e-mails, Facebook messages and tweets over the last year and a half, so this episode barely makes a dent. But here are some highlights.
As has so often happened with PopStuff, Holly’s a lot more into Barbie than I am. After hearing Stuff You Should Know’s episode on Barbie, we thought we should talk more about the culture of these dolls and whether there’s any truth to the idea that Barbie is causing body image problems.
by Tracy V. Wilson | February 25, 2013
In our continuing quest to work food into our podcast, we’re talking about the whole idea of “ethnic food” today. That’s … pretty loaded as a concept and runs counter to the idea of America as a melting pot. Yet, some of those “other” flavors are among our favorites. Reasons vs. excuses The basic trajectory […]
by Tracy V. Wilson | February 20, 2013
You know Holly and I love costumes. We don’t necessary love ponderous movies. This year’s costume nominees … maybe a little ponderous. We had to split it up, but, unlike last year, we did see all five of the nominees, once we combined our efforts.
by Tracy V. Wilson | February 18, 2013
A while back, we did an episode on stuff that’s wildly popular, but we just can’t quite get into it. The time has come for the other half of the equation … the things we love that other people hate. Not quite like a guilty pleasure (we’ve talked about those, too). Other people like those things; they just don’t want to admit it.
by Tracy V. Wilson | February 13, 2013
You’re probably not at all surprised to learn that Holly loves Valentine’s Day. After all, it is pink and sparkly. But even though it’s supposed to be about love and happiness, it’s a particularly contentious holiday. We talk about why (and some ways to make it less stressful).
by Tracy V. Wilson | February 11, 2013
It’s Mardi Gras time! And it’s time for us to dispel some of the myths about Mardi Gras being, through and through, a festival of drunkenness and debauchery. Holly’s been a pile of times, but I never have.
by Tracy V. Wilson | February 6, 2013
Sometimes, I find myself on the Internet, reading comments and becoming increasingly angry. I get madder and madder until I suddenly have an epiphany: Stop reading the comments! They’re terrible. And there’s data to support that contention.
by Tracy V. Wilson | February 5, 2013
Holly and I do love commentary tracks … Holly loves them in general, and I love them when I also love the movie in question and really want to know all about the production of it. Case in point: “Lord of the Rings.”
Recent Postings by Category
- Thank You and Best Wishes to Marshall Brain
- Contest – Design a $300 house and win $25,000
- How the Philtrum works – the place under your nose where your face comes together
The Coolest Stuff on the Planet
- Why can a 5 foot 8 inch man dunk a basketball on a 10 foot rim while some people of taller stature can’t?
- What happens to our sun once it runs out of fuel?
- How do we know the age of the universe?
Stuff Mom Never Told You
Stuff to Blow Your Mind
- Blow Your Mind: Slay Your Paper Tigers
- Space Religion: Cao Dai and the 72 Inhabited Exoplanets
- Blow the Mind: Objects of Love
Stuff You Should Know
- “In The Neighborhood” by Jon Stewart Mosman
- “Thanatos” by Christopher Vincola
- “Frame Story” by Adam Pracht
The Stuff of Genius
- Show Notes: Heart-stopping Last Laps of Racing
- Never say Never: Jaguar XJ220 Spotted in the Wild!
- What’s your pick for the 2013 Indianapolis 500 pace car?
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 152: Final Episodes
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 151: Mailbag!
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 150: Barbie!
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know
Stuff to Change the World
- Who will own the Arctic?
- Obesity: The New Global Crisis
- Bill Gates Makes For A Pretty Decent Cartoon
Stuff You Missed in History Class
- Missed in History: The Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters
- Missed in History: The Disappearance of Judge Crater
- Missed in History: Maurice Duplessis