Posts Tagged: ‘neuroscience’
Is multitasking a female super power, a teachable skill or pure myth?
In this episode of Stuff to Blow Your Mind, Julie and I consider our multitasking world, our uni-tasking minds and the rare “super taskers” capable of doing it all.
by Robert Lamb | February 5, 2013
Joke all you want, but the Interrupting Cow takes a real toll on your brain and your work life. So in this episode of Stuff to Blow Your Mind, Julie and I examine just how interruptions and distractions impact our cognitive functions. What can we do to combat the interpreting cows in our life?
Find out in this episode.
Welcome to 2013! We decided to kick off this new year of Stuff to Blow Your Mind with some BRAIN content, because that’s where the new year happens. That’s where your resolutions live. That’s where your hangover lived. Now let’s get to it.
New Year’s Life Hacks
Want improved focus this year? A better creative flow or stronger decision-making skills? In this episode of Stuff to Blow Your Mind, Robert and Julie run through some simple, scientifically-backed ways to maximize your new year.
I Was a Teenage Teenager: The Science of Teen Angst
The teenage brain is a wonderful thing, full of intense rewiring and rapid shifts in priority. In this episode of Stuff to Blow Your Mind, Julie and Robert reminisce about the teenagers they were and just what was going on in their brains to fuel all that odd, erratic behavior.
Where does wrath arise from in the human brain and why do we malign it as one of the seven deadly sins? In this episode of Stuff to Blow Your Mind, Julie and I continue the buffet of vice in an examination of human anger.
We’ll travel through the muddy and violent swamps of the river Styx in Dante’s “Inferno,” through the Nakara and Asura realms of Buddhism and up through the ratlike hind-brain of human evolution.
Guided by science, Julie and I continue our journey through the pleasures and perils of the seven deadly sins. This time the vice of choice is envy, so prepare to discover the neuroscience behind schadenfreude in this episode of Stuff to Blow Your Mind. We discuss how a little envy can be a good thing and how quite a bit of it can lead to a workplace stabbing.
Stand in line at the local sandwich shop and you’ll endure a barrage of choices on what you want between the buns. Will that be whole wheat or white? Swiss or cheddar? Pickles? Tomatoes? Mayo? As insignificant as these choices are in the grand scheme of thing, are they decreasing your effectiveness at decision making later in the day?
No matter how on top of your to-do list you happen to be, there’s a task or two you’re putting off. Why do we procrastinate? Why do we put off both dreaded tasks and long-held ambitions for short-term pleasures?
In this episode of Stuff to Blow Your Mind, Julie and I breakdown procrastination as the temporal, human planning phenomenon that it is.
Listen in and you’ll gain a better understanding of why you haven’t taken the garbage out yet, and what you can do to cut down on procrastination in your life.
Each of us is a collection of memories. We’re the recorded information of all the experiences, lessons and feelings that came before the present moment. So how are we to square away the knowledge that some of the memories that compose us are fraudulent? In this episode of Stuff to Blow Your Mind, Julie and I examine the world of false memories and misattribution. How do false memories form and how can we carry them around without realizing there’s something wrong?
Recreational drug use is bad and we here at Stuff to Blow Your Mind advice you give a firm “no” the next time someone offers to inject something called “ZIP” into your brain’s hippocampus. That’s because this amazing drug actually wipes the memory clean. It doesn’t damage the brain. It just scrubs out everything you ever knew.
During the Conscious after Decapitation episode on SYSK, we all closed our eyes and counted off four seconds, since that’s about how long it’s been determined a person can stay conscious after being decapitated. We thought about all of the sights and sounds and sensations that can be experienced in four seconds and we were all thrilled with the horror and dread of it all.
Recent Postings by Category
- Thank You and Best Wishes to Marshall Brain
- Contest – Design a $300 house and win $25,000
- How the Philtrum works – the place under your nose where your face comes together
The Coolest Stuff on the Planet
- Why can a 5 foot 8 inch man dunk a basketball on a 10 foot rim while some people of taller stature can’t?
- What happens to our sun once it runs out of fuel?
- How do we know the age of the universe?
Stuff Mom Never Told You
Stuff to Blow Your Mind
- Blow Your Mind: Slay Your Paper Tigers
- Space Religion: Cao Dai and the 72 Inhabited Exoplanets
- Blow the Mind: Objects of Love
Stuff You Should Know
- “In The Neighborhood” by Jon Stewart Mosman
- “Frame Story” by Adam Pracht
- “Thanatos” by Christopher Vincola
The Stuff of Genius
- Show Notes: Heart-stopping Last Laps of Racing
- Never say Never: Jaguar XJ220 Spotted in the Wild!
- What’s your pick for the 2013 Indianapolis 500 pace car?
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 152: Final Episodes
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 151: Mailbag!
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 150: Barbie!
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know
Stuff to Change the World
- Who will own the Arctic?
- Obesity: The New Global Crisis
- Bill Gates Makes For A Pretty Decent Cartoon
Stuff You Missed in History Class
- Missed in History: The Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters
- Missed in History: The Disappearance of Judge Crater
- Missed in History: Maurice Duplessis