Posts Tagged: ‘NaNoWriMo’
by Tracy V. Wilson | November 28, 2012
We’re closing in on the end of NaNoWriMo time for the year! And since NaNoWriMo was yet another listener request, we thought we’d better fit it in before it’s over.
Have you ever looked at your recreational reading list and started sweating?
Normally, a mountain of unread books plus time equals bliss, but on New Year’s Day, I looked at the pile of unread books in the corner of my living room and actually got a little nervous. I gleefully joined a book club last month, and now that the books have arrived and the buzz has abated, I realize that I’ve got a lot of reading to do.
Now, I could knock all these books out by March or I could let that pile overwhelm me, but Salon’s Laura Miller has suggested an idea that would let me have my cake and eat it too.
Starting word count: 40,036
Friday’s word count: 631
Saturday’s word count: 3,167
Sunday’s word count: 6,515
Total word count: 50,349! (Cue the fireworks.)
The product: Everything I had intended to wrap up in the plot, minus some sort of actual conclusion, which means lots of heartbreak and reconciliation. I’m not sure what the last thing that happens is.
Starting word count: 35,407
Wednesday’s word count: 2,068
Yesterday’s word count: 2,561
Total word count: 40,036
The product: More time with the mentally unwell and a trip to a restaurant, which I realized later was basically the Restaurant at the End of the Universe, aka Milliways, only with a different shtick. So, should this book be available in public one day and that part is still in there, don’t come tell me I basically ripped off Douglas Adams. I know that already.
Starting word count: 33,895
Yesterday’s word count: 1,512
Total word count: 35,407
The product: Three letters, arrived on the same day.
There were also procrastination and burgers. More on that after the jump.
Starting word count: 20,541
Friday’s word count: 1,460
Saturday’s word count: 3,099
Sunday’s word count: 4,917
Monday’s word count: 3,878
Total word count: 33,895
The product: Arguments! Dances! Surprise meetings! Delicious meals! A hospital for the mentally unwell!
And a coffee shop gets most of the credit.
Starting word count: 19,817
Yesterday’s word count: 724
Total word count: 20,541
The product: Minimal.
The process: I was a little out of sorts yesterday evening, and I turned to my favorite cure for out-of-sorts-ness: pho. My brilliant plan was that I would take my pho home and eat it while watching this week’s episode of “Castle,” after which I would surely be rid of all melancholy and ready to take on some work. What I really was was sleepy and still out of sorts.
Starting word count: 18,014
Yesterday’s word count: 1,803
Total word count: 19,817
The product: Gossip. (And a list of all the named servants so far in the heroine’s household, and all the notable place names so far, and a reminder of the route the family followed while traveling, because I was tired of scrolling back to look those things up. The list didn’t count as part of my word total.) What did count was the beautiful, beautiful gossip.
by Tracy V. Wilson | November 10, 2010
The process: I’ve just returned to HowStuffWorks.com HQ in Atlanta after a trip to Discovery Communications headquarters in Silver Spring, Md. Also, I have a phobia of flying. This means my week so far has comprised a pair of 14-hour train trips and a night in a hotel … and some writing.
Starting word count: 15,120 Yesterday’s word count: 1,145 Total word count: 16,265 The product: Breakfast with a space captain and a surprise encounter in a corridor. The process: I’ve got the busiest of all busy days ahead of me, so I’ll keep it brief: Yesterday’s writing time was odd for a couple of reasons. One, […]
Recent Postings by Category
- Thank You and Best Wishes to Marshall Brain
- Contest – Design a $300 house and win $25,000
- How the Philtrum works – the place under your nose where your face comes together
The Coolest Stuff on the Planet
- Why can a 5 foot 8 inch man dunk a basketball on a 10 foot rim while some people of taller stature can’t?
- What happens to our sun once it runs out of fuel?
- How do we know the age of the universe?
Stuff Mom Never Told You
Stuff to Blow Your Mind
- Blow Your Mind: Slay Your Paper Tigers
- Space Religion: Cao Dai and the 72 Inhabited Exoplanets
- Blow the Mind: Objects of Love
Stuff You Should Know
- “In The Neighborhood” by Jon Stewart Mosman
- “Thanatos” by Christopher Vincola
- “Frame Story” by Adam Pracht
The Stuff of Genius
- Show Notes: Heart-stopping Last Laps of Racing
- Never say Never: Jaguar XJ220 Spotted in the Wild!
- What’s your pick for the 2013 Indianapolis 500 pace car?
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 152: Final Episodes
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 151: Mailbag!
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 150: Barbie!
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know
Stuff to Change the World
- Who will own the Arctic?
- Obesity: The New Global Crisis
- Bill Gates Makes For A Pretty Decent Cartoon
Stuff You Missed in History Class
- Missed in History: The Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters
- Missed in History: The Disappearance of Judge Crater
- Missed in History: Maurice Duplessis