Posts Tagged: ‘mushrooms’
So here’s the question: Do slugs trip on psilocybin when they consume it? Because in humans, the substance generates a wide variety of mind-altering effects. Time changes. Reality shifts. Sometimes we feel a deeper connection with the universe and openness to each other.
But what about slugs?
Collecting wild mushrooms is something I would have to be really, really hard-pressed to undertake. I mean, it would have to be like apocalypse bad, because I think cooked mushrooms taste like slimy rubber — and I don’t even want to think of the musty horror they appear to be when raw. But that doesn’t […]
by Marshall Brain | December 9, 2010
If fungi watched porn, this collection of fruiting bodies might be prime viewing for them. For human beings who watch, the diversity of shape and function boggles the mind: As you watch there are two things that may benefit from more explanation. Around 1:00 he says: These are the fruiting bodies of the fungi, the […]
I like mushrooms in my omelets, or sautéed with wine or on a pizza. Who knew they could also insulate my home or compose my to-go box at my favorite kabob restaurant? According to Green Inc., Ecovative Design has developed an organic alternative to fiberglass insulation and Styrofoam using — you guessed it — fungi.
While still students at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Eben Bayer and Gavin McIntyre observed how the fungal mycelium of mushrooms (basically mushroom roots) bound wood chips together. They adapted this process — called microbinding — in order to make a strong, natural product.
The process goes something like this: Fungi cells are mixed with local agricultural wastes high in lignin (such as buckwheat and rice hulls), as well as water, recycled paper and hydrogen peroxide. The mycelium digest the lignin in about a week leaving behind “a strong biological matrix.”
Recent Postings by Category
- Thank You and Best Wishes to Marshall Brain
- Contest – Design a $300 house and win $25,000
- How the Philtrum works – the place under your nose where your face comes together
The Coolest Stuff on the Planet
- Why can a 5 foot 8 inch man dunk a basketball on a 10 foot rim while some people of taller stature can’t?
- What happens to our sun once it runs out of fuel?
- How do we know the age of the universe?
Stuff Mom Never Told You
Stuff to Blow Your Mind
- Blow Your Mind: Slay Your Paper Tigers
- Space Religion: Cao Dai and the 72 Inhabited Exoplanets
- Blow the Mind: Objects of Love
Stuff You Should Know
- “In The Neighborhood” by Jon Stewart Mosman
- “Thanatos” by Christopher Vincola
- “Frame Story” by Adam Pracht
The Stuff of Genius
- Show Notes: Heart-stopping Last Laps of Racing
- Never say Never: Jaguar XJ220 Spotted in the Wild!
- What’s your pick for the 2013 Indianapolis 500 pace car?
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 152: Final Episodes
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 151: Mailbag!
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 150: Barbie!
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know
Stuff to Change the World
- Who will own the Arctic?
- Obesity: The New Global Crisis
- Bill Gates Makes For A Pretty Decent Cartoon
Stuff You Missed in History Class
- Missed in History: The Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters
- Missed in History: The Disappearance of Judge Crater
- Missed in History: Maurice Duplessis