Posts Tagged: ‘movies’
We’ve mentioned in the podcast that I’m a big fan of (parts of) the Silent Hill video game series. Survival horror! Haunting music! Freudian themes! Boss fights with anthropomorphic furniture! The games are at least as cinematic during their game play as they are during their cut scenes – frequently moreso, thanks to the efficient […]
by Tracy V. Wilson | February 5, 2013
Holly and I do love commentary tracks … Holly loves them in general, and I love them when I also love the movie in question and really want to know all about the production of it. Case in point: “Lord of the Rings.”
by Tracy V. Wilson | December 24, 2012
You know how sometimes it’s Christmastime, and maybe you don’t celebrate, or maybe you’re just over it, and you want to see something different … but without turning your back completely on the holiday? OK, maybe it’s just us. But we thought we’d talk about some of those movies that happen at Christmas but just aren’t “Christmas movies.”
by Tracy V. Wilson | December 14, 2012
I used to go to a lot of midnight movies. One, there were more movies I was that excited to see. Two, the midnight crowd usually keeps its mouth shut and its phones off. And three, I was a lot younger. I could function better on less sleep, and I had jobs that required less of my brain. I also had fewer demands on vacation time and could use a day here and there to sleep in post-film.
Now the midnight movie is rare for me, thanks to the general trend of feeling like death afterward. For “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey,” I was ready to face that consequence.
Yet, here I am the next morning, working and surprisingly functional. Your mileage may vary, but here’s my recipe for midnight movies without next-day misery.
As the most anticipated sci-fi movie of 2012, “Prometheus” deserves our attention. So in this episode of Stuff to Blow Your Mind, Julie and I suit up and venture into the film’s dark and Gigery heart. Consider us your prom (etheus) dates for the film.
by Tracy V. Wilson | June 18, 2012
Let’s make this clear from the get-go: Holly and I love Pixar movies. We truly do. And we think that just because they don’t feature many – or, until “Brave,” any – female characters in starting roles, they still have plenty of value as stories. But … we wouldn’t mind it at all if there were more leading ladies in the world of Pixar, both onscreen and on staff.
See “Prometheus” over the weekend? Aching to learn a bit more about some of the futuristic technology that pops up in the film? Well then allow me to share a few HSW links with you — links to wash down all that space horror goodness with a tasty chaser of SCIENCE.
by Tracy V. Wilson | May 9, 2012
Once again, a thing we love: People asked us to talk about something we already want to talk about. This time, franchise reboots. As with comic book movies, these have a pretty bad reputation among moviegoers at this point. But once we started looking, we saw lots of stuff that’s really good.
by Tracy V. Wilson | March 12, 2012
At least two listeners asked us to podcast about this subject, which made it extra serendipitous that we’d had it on our idea board almost since day one. Right now it seems like Snow White is everywhere. Including this episode. So here we go.
Recent Postings by Category
- Thank You and Best Wishes to Marshall Brain
- Contest – Design a $300 house and win $25,000
- How the Philtrum works – the place under your nose where your face comes together
The Coolest Stuff on the Planet
- Why can a 5 foot 8 inch man dunk a basketball on a 10 foot rim while some people of taller stature can’t?
- What happens to our sun once it runs out of fuel?
- How do we know the age of the universe?
Stuff Mom Never Told You
Stuff to Blow Your Mind
- Blow Your Mind: Slay Your Paper Tigers
- Space Religion: Cao Dai and the 72 Inhabited Exoplanets
- Blow the Mind: Objects of Love
Stuff You Should Know
- “In The Neighborhood” by Jon Stewart Mosman
- “Thanatos” by Christopher Vincola
- “Frame Story” by Adam Pracht
The Stuff of Genius
- Show Notes: Heart-stopping Last Laps of Racing
- Never say Never: Jaguar XJ220 Spotted in the Wild!
- What’s your pick for the 2013 Indianapolis 500 pace car?
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 152: Final Episodes
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 151: Mailbag!
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 150: Barbie!
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know
Stuff to Change the World
- Who will own the Arctic?
- Obesity: The New Global Crisis
- Bill Gates Makes For A Pretty Decent Cartoon
Stuff You Missed in History Class
- Missed in History: The Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters
- Missed in History: The Disappearance of Judge Crater
- Missed in History: Maurice Duplessis