Posts Tagged: ‘Mad Science Hall of Shame’
Now that “American Horror Story: Asylum” has come to an end, I feel I can mourn the loss of its most (and perhaps only) interesting character, Dr. Arthur Arden. Make no bones about it: I’m a mad scientist junkie. I like ‘em well-acted and fully-rendered but I also enjoy ‘em cardboard and portrayed by dudes with a single IMDB credit. So for me, Arden had a lot going for him — and so did “Asylum” for that matter.
by Robert Lamb | December 14, 2012
As you’ll remember from the film “From Beyond” (watch it on Hulu here), Dr. Edward Pretorius pioneered use of the Resonator, a device that expands human perceptions of reality via wave manipulation of the pineal gland.
As the photo illustrates, things didn’t work out all that well. Pretorius lost his corporal form and crossed over into an alternate dimension of amorphous hedonism. Mistakes were made. Brains were eaten. Things got a bit sticky.
The annals of mad science are full of great men who selflessly laid their bodies and minds on the alter of scientific research. They cut corners. They employed questionable logic in the pursuit of their grand dreams. But hey, at least they had the certitude to experiment on themselves rather than the crop of buxom teens imprisoned in their basement. Which leads us to our monster of the week: Dr. Jacob Freudstein.
Recent Postings by Category
- Thank You and Best Wishes to Marshall Brain
- Contest – Design a $300 house and win $25,000
- How the Philtrum works – the place under your nose where your face comes together
The Coolest Stuff on the Planet
- Why can a 5 foot 8 inch man dunk a basketball on a 10 foot rim while some people of taller stature can’t?
- What happens to our sun once it runs out of fuel?
- How do we know the age of the universe?
Stuff Mom Never Told You
Stuff to Blow Your Mind
- Blow Your Mind: Slay Your Paper Tigers
- Space Religion: Cao Dai and the 72 Inhabited Exoplanets
- Blow the Mind: Objects of Love
Stuff You Should Know
- “In The Neighborhood” by Jon Stewart Mosman
- “Thanatos” by Christopher Vincola
- “Frame Story” by Adam Pracht
The Stuff of Genius
- Show Notes: Heart-stopping Last Laps of Racing
- Never say Never: Jaguar XJ220 Spotted in the Wild!
- What’s your pick for the 2013 Indianapolis 500 pace car?
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 152: Final Episodes
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 151: Mailbag!
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 150: Barbie!
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know
Stuff to Change the World
- Who will own the Arctic?
- Obesity: The New Global Crisis
- Bill Gates Makes For A Pretty Decent Cartoon
Stuff You Missed in History Class
- Missed in History: The Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters
- Missed in History: The Disappearance of Judge Crater
- Missed in History: Maurice Duplessis