Posts Tagged: ‘James Cameron’
by Jonathan Strickland | April 29, 2013
Nearly two years ago, I recorded an episode of TechStuff with Chris Pollette about deep sea explorations (you can click this link to listen to it). We talked about the barriers to deep sea exploration and the technology needed to overcome those barriers. We also talked a bit about James Cameron, award-winning filmmaker and a man who is intensely fascinated by the underwater world. Now, Cameron is donating his phenomenal submarine to science.
People have been buzzing about James Cameron’s “Avatar” for so long that it’s almost impossible to get away from the questions, even now, a day before it opens in the U.S. Critics seem to be settling mostly on “no” to the all-important query, “Will this be a giant train wreck?” But the jury’s still out on whether the Na’vi look real or cartoony and whether the story is unique or basically an interstellar “Dances with Wolves.”
And then there are the questions about social issues, from racism to disability rights — and, of course, whether “Avatar” is sexist.
James Cameron’s New 3-D Epic Could Change Film Forever – “In 1977, a 22-year-old truck driver named James Cameron went to see Star Wars with a pal. His friend enjoyed the movie; Cameron walked out of the theater ready to punch something. He was a college dropout and spent his days delivering school lunches in […]
Recent Postings by Category
- Thank You and Best Wishes to Marshall Brain
- Contest – Design a $300 house and win $25,000
- How the Philtrum works – the place under your nose where your face comes together
The Coolest Stuff on the Planet
- Why can a 5 foot 8 inch man dunk a basketball on a 10 foot rim while some people of taller stature can’t?
- What happens to our sun once it runs out of fuel?
- How do we know the age of the universe?
Stuff Mom Never Told You
Stuff to Blow Your Mind
- Blow Your Mind: Slay Your Paper Tigers
- Space Religion: Cao Dai and the 72 Inhabited Exoplanets
- Blow the Mind: Objects of Love
Stuff You Should Know
- “In The Neighborhood” by Jon Stewart Mosman
- “Frame Story” by Adam Pracht
- “Thanatos” by Christopher Vincola
The Stuff of Genius
- Show Notes: Heart-stopping Last Laps of Racing
- Never say Never: Jaguar XJ220 Spotted in the Wild!
- What’s your pick for the 2013 Indianapolis 500 pace car?
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 152: Final Episodes
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 151: Mailbag!
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 150: Barbie!
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know
Stuff to Change the World
- Who will own the Arctic?
- Obesity: The New Global Crisis
- Bill Gates Makes For A Pretty Decent Cartoon
Stuff You Missed in History Class
- Missed in History: The Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters
- Missed in History: The Disappearance of Judge Crater
- Missed in History: Maurice Duplessis