Posts Tagged: ‘IPO’
Last year, Chris and I did a TechStuff episode about Facebook’s IPO and the controversy surrounding it. Facebook’s opening stock price during its IPO was $38 per share. In theory, a company’s stock price should reflect the value (and potential value) of that company. You take the number of shares that exist, multiply it by the share price and you’ve got a rough estimate of a company’s value. In Facebook’s case, that value amounted to a whopping $16 billion. But questions about Facebook’s real value began to pop up shortly after the IPO and that’s where we run into trouble.
Pandora Radio launched an initial public offering (IPO) of company stock this morning, with some success. According to Wired’s Sam Gustin, the company priced the offering at $16 per share, which would value the company at about $2.6 billion. As it turned out, the stock opened at $20. From there it went up to $26, and dropped somewhat. At the end of the day when markets closed, Pandora ended up at $17.42 per share.
News broke today that Groupon has filed for an initial public offering (IPO). The paperwork indicates that Groupon is looking for up to $750 million in this IPO. The filing reveals other interesting information: Groupon employs 7,000 people. It claims 83 million subscribers. In the first quarter of 2011, Groupon earned over $640 million in revenue. Earlier this year, Bloomberg reported that Groupon was discussing a valuation of the company with several banks — a valuation that may have been as high as $25 billion.
Recent Postings by Category
- Thank You and Best Wishes to Marshall Brain
- Contest – Design a $300 house and win $25,000
- How the Philtrum works – the place under your nose where your face comes together
The Coolest Stuff on the Planet
- Why can a 5 foot 8 inch man dunk a basketball on a 10 foot rim while some people of taller stature can’t?
- What happens to our sun once it runs out of fuel?
- How do we know the age of the universe?
Stuff Mom Never Told You
Stuff to Blow Your Mind
- Blow Your Mind: Slay Your Paper Tigers
- Space Religion: Cao Dai and the 72 Inhabited Exoplanets
- Blow the Mind: Objects of Love
Stuff You Should Know
- “In The Neighborhood” by Jon Stewart Mosman
- “Frame Story” by Adam Pracht
- “Thanatos” by Christopher Vincola
The Stuff of Genius
- Show Notes: Heart-stopping Last Laps of Racing
- Never say Never: Jaguar XJ220 Spotted in the Wild!
- What’s your pick for the 2013 Indianapolis 500 pace car?
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 152: Final Episodes
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 151: Mailbag!
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 150: Barbie!
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know
Stuff to Change the World
- Who will own the Arctic?
- Obesity: The New Global Crisis
- Bill Gates Makes For A Pretty Decent Cartoon
Stuff You Missed in History Class
- Missed in History: Sei Shonagon
- Missed in History: The Boston Massacre
- Missed in History: Zenobia (Revisited)