Posts Tagged: ‘Invention’
I recently checked out an excellent TED talk from Alex Steffen of Worldchanging.com. In the clip below, Alex addresses the subject of a sustainable future (and what it will take to achieve one). This wide-reaching presentation touches on numerous issues, from the emergence of megacities to patterns of technology adoption and brilliant inventions built to empower […]
Imagine that you are a student with an invention fair coming up. What are you going to invent? According to this article… Never miss another call with your Bra Pocket …inspiration came as a boy watched a girl: “I saw her (Kayla) pull her phone out of her bra and I thought it would be […]
by Marshall Brain | April 14, 2011
This product is not yet a product you can buy, and it has not been fully fleshed out, but you can definitely see where they are going as soon as you look at the photos: Construction Toy The kit gives you full-size parts to build real things. It: a) really makes you wonder why no […]
Imagine a bus. The image you have in your mind probably involves a huge, slow box on wheels spewing clouds of diesel exhaust. Now throw out that image and try this one on for size – this is the Superbus: It is electric, so no fumes. It has a top speed of 250 kph/ 155 […]
by Marshall Brain | March 23, 2011
Think about the cash that we use today. If I want to, I can give you a one dollar bill. I don’t need to tell anyone I am doing it. It does not need to be recorded anywhere. You don’t have to tell anyone or record it either. You simply slip my one dollar bill […]
In the following article, a really interesting question is explored. The question is: Is there a better, more efficient way to launch airplanes? Electric Aviation is the Future of Transport If you think about how airplanes take off now, you can see the potential problem. The pilot positions the plane at the end of the […]
Imagine that you run a shipping company that owns large container ships or supertankers. Your ships are burning lots of fuel – tens of thousands of gallons per day. The Emma Mærsk shown here burns something like 40,000 gallons per day at full speed: What if you could save 10,000 gallons per day? That is […]
Oil is currently at $100 or so per barrel. The current reason for the high price is instability in Middle Eastern countries like Libya. In addition, demand for oil is increasing at a time when new oil discoveries are declining. In the United States (and many other parts of the world), coal is abundant. What […]
by Marshall Brain | February 11, 2011
This is a great idea, nicely implemented to make it simple. It is a base that allows your camera to automatically track you as you move around: This is not so conceptually unusual. For example, people have been making people-followers for awhile in the form of paintball sentries: Satarii has radically simplified the problem with […]
Recent Postings by Category
- Thank You and Best Wishes to Marshall Brain
- Contest – Design a $300 house and win $25,000
- How the Philtrum works – the place under your nose where your face comes together
The Coolest Stuff on the Planet
- Why can a 5 foot 8 inch man dunk a basketball on a 10 foot rim while some people of taller stature can’t?
- What happens to our sun once it runs out of fuel?
- How do we know the age of the universe?
Stuff Mom Never Told You
Stuff to Blow Your Mind
- Blow Your Mind: Slay Your Paper Tigers
- Space Religion: Cao Dai and the 72 Inhabited Exoplanets
- Blow the Mind: Objects of Love
Stuff You Should Know
- “In The Neighborhood” by Jon Stewart Mosman
- “Thanatos” by Christopher Vincola
- “Frame Story” by Adam Pracht
The Stuff of Genius
- Show Notes: Heart-stopping Last Laps of Racing
- Never say Never: Jaguar XJ220 Spotted in the Wild!
- What’s your pick for the 2013 Indianapolis 500 pace car?
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 152: Final Episodes
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 151: Mailbag!
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 150: Barbie!
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know
Stuff to Change the World
- Who will own the Arctic?
- Obesity: The New Global Crisis
- Bill Gates Makes For A Pretty Decent Cartoon
Stuff You Missed in History Class
- Missed in History: Sei Shonagon
- Missed in History: The Boston Massacre
- Missed in History: Zenobia (Revisited)