Posts Tagged: ‘Internet access’
With Internet Service Providers (ISPs) in Canada and the United States planning to impose monthly bandwidth caps on us, and with extra fees being planned for people who exceed those caps (e.g. $1 per gigabyte), it brings up a great question – how much does it really cost to provide Internet access? We can get […]
I’m teleworking today from one of my favorite places on Earth: My super-cozy bed. Or at least I WAS, until my Internet conked out and I had to head out in search of free WiFi. Well, not technically free I suppose since a meal is involved, but hey, a person has to eat. What a person doesn’t have to do (read: want to do) is place an order, crack open a laptop, and find out that connecting to WiFi costs additional dinero. Luckily, I found a place that fit the bill, but I’m not always so lucky. So, in the event of future outages, I thought it might be a good idea to scout out some additional options. Mellow Mushroom makes a good pizza, after all, but pizza isn’t something I like to make a habit of eating.
October 18, 2010
If you’re trying to access the Internet in a very rural or remote place, satellite Internet is probably your best bet. In this episode, Marshall explains how satellite Internet works.
This message from Eric Schmidt (CEO of Google) is very short and simple: A Note to Google Users on Net Neutrality Think about this: why are there only 200 or 300 TV channels available on your TV, and they cost $100 month, while there are millions of websites available on the Internet for free? That […]
In general, most water, gas and electrical utilities all send representatives out to your home to see how much you’ve used, so that you can be billed correctly. Use more and you pay more. Use less, and, well, you get the picture. Broadband Internet isn’t like that, though. You pay a flat fee and you get all-you-can-eat information.
Recent Postings by Category
- Thank You and Best Wishes to Marshall Brain
- Contest – Design a $300 house and win $25,000
- How the Philtrum works – the place under your nose where your face comes together
The Coolest Stuff on the Planet
- Why can a 5 foot 8 inch man dunk a basketball on a 10 foot rim while some people of taller stature can’t?
- What happens to our sun once it runs out of fuel?
- How do we know the age of the universe?
Stuff Mom Never Told You
Stuff to Blow Your Mind
- Blow Your Mind: Slay Your Paper Tigers
- Space Religion: Cao Dai and the 72 Inhabited Exoplanets
- Blow the Mind: Objects of Love
Stuff You Should Know
- “In The Neighborhood” by Jon Stewart Mosman
- “Thanatos” by Christopher Vincola
- “Frame Story” by Adam Pracht
The Stuff of Genius
- Show Notes: Heart-stopping Last Laps of Racing
- Never say Never: Jaguar XJ220 Spotted in the Wild!
- What’s your pick for the 2013 Indianapolis 500 pace car?
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 152: Final Episodes
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 151: Mailbag!
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 150: Barbie!
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know
Stuff to Change the World
- Who will own the Arctic?
- Obesity: The New Global Crisis
- Bill Gates Makes For A Pretty Decent Cartoon
Stuff You Missed in History Class
- Missed in History: The Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters
- Missed in History: The Disappearance of Judge Crater
- Missed in History: Maurice Duplessis