Posts Tagged: ‘ideomotor effect’
by Julie Douglas | October 30, 2012
In this week’s podcast Robert and I put on our metaphorical jammies, dim the lights and look at the science behind the occultist hijinks of our youths, all while braiding each other’s hair. What we discover about how our eyes can “see” ghosts (the Troxler effect); and our own innate strength, not to mention unconscious movements of our muscles known as the ideomotor effect, is far more intriguing than any made-by-Hasbro spirit could cook up.
And lest you listen to the podcast and realize that one of your long-held beliefs about something that happened to you in your childhood has been dashed — like levitating a friend using only two fingers– don’t despair. Think of it less as being pantsed by science and more like exposing the man behind the curtain, aka your endlessly imaginative, beautiful brain.
Recent Postings by Category
- Thank You and Best Wishes to Marshall Brain
- Contest – Design a $300 house and win $25,000
- How the Philtrum works – the place under your nose where your face comes together
The Coolest Stuff on the Planet
- Why can a 5 foot 8 inch man dunk a basketball on a 10 foot rim while some people of taller stature can’t?
- What happens to our sun once it runs out of fuel?
- How do we know the age of the universe?
Stuff Mom Never Told You
Stuff to Blow Your Mind
- Blow Your Mind: Slay Your Paper Tigers
- Space Religion: Cao Dai and the 72 Inhabited Exoplanets
- Blow the Mind: Objects of Love
Stuff You Should Know
- “In The Neighborhood” by Jon Stewart Mosman
- “Frame Story” by Adam Pracht
- “Thanatos” by Christopher Vincola
The Stuff of Genius
- Show Notes: Heart-stopping Last Laps of Racing
- Never say Never: Jaguar XJ220 Spotted in the Wild!
- What’s your pick for the 2013 Indianapolis 500 pace car?
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 152: Final Episodes
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 151: Mailbag!
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 150: Barbie!
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know
Stuff to Change the World
- Who will own the Arctic?
- Obesity: The New Global Crisis
- Bill Gates Makes For A Pretty Decent Cartoon
Stuff You Missed in History Class
- Missed in History: The Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters
- Missed in History: The Disappearance of Judge Crater
- Missed in History: Maurice Duplessis