Posts Tagged: ‘hip-hop’
While lesser rappers carry on about guns and money (snore), other minds spin with true lyrical creativity. I’m talking about so-called “alternative hip-hop” artists such as Busdriver, MF Doom and of course Del the Funky Homosapien.
I’ve covered cosmic hip-hop in Space Music posts before, but Del’s work with Dan the Automator and Kid Koala really stands out as the cream of the cosmic crop. Dubbed Deltron 3030, the trio’s self-titled 2000 concept album is nothing short of epic.
I’ll keep this short and sweet. You love Halloween. You love a little hip-hop in your life. So here are a handful of suitably seasonal rap videos. The first one, brought to my attention by DJ Food via Twitter, is a fantastic A-Z collection of movie monsters by Mister Jason. It’s a sweet jam and there’s a LOT of legitimate monster love in it.
Here are the facts: During the wee hours of March 9th, 2007 1997, hip hop superstar Biggie Smalls (born Christopher Wallace) died of four gunshot wounds to the chest. His death may have been statistically unremarkable to some — after all, thousands of gun-related deaths occur in the US each year, and according to the Washington-based Violence […]
Science is a subject that, for all its awesomeness, often turns off students. That’s tragic because pretty much everything in life that’s worth obsessing about has some science at its core. So it’s always encouraging to see someone reaching out to students with new and exciting methods of fostering scientific zeal.
As she recounts in a recent LiveScience article, Nalini M. Nadkarni happened on the notion of combining science with hip-hop while teaching a forest ecology class at Evergreen State College in Olympia, Wash. During a field trip through the state’s temperate rain forests, she overheard a student’s eco-inspired freestyle rap and decided music might be a great way of connecting with urban schoolchildren.
Recent Postings by Category
- Thank You and Best Wishes to Marshall Brain
- Contest – Design a $300 house and win $25,000
- How the Philtrum works – the place under your nose where your face comes together
The Coolest Stuff on the Planet
- Why can a 5 foot 8 inch man dunk a basketball on a 10 foot rim while some people of taller stature can’t?
- What happens to our sun once it runs out of fuel?
- How do we know the age of the universe?
Stuff Mom Never Told You
- Do women have neater handwriting than men?
- Is learning cursive handwriting good for kids’ brains?
- Does motherhood improve brainpower?
Stuff to Blow Your Mind
- Blow Your Mind: Slay Your Paper Tigers
- Space Religion: Cao Dai and the 72 Inhabited Exoplanets
- Blow the Mind: Objects of Love
Stuff You Should Know
- “In The Neighborhood” by Jon Stewart Mosman
- “Thanatos” by Christopher Vincola
- “Frame Story” by Adam Pracht
The Stuff of Genius
- Show Notes: Heart-stopping Last Laps of Racing
- Never say Never: Jaguar XJ220 Spotted in the Wild!
- What’s your pick for the 2013 Indianapolis 500 pace car?
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 152: Final Episodes
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 151: Mailbag!
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 150: Barbie!
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know
Stuff to Change the World
- Who will own the Arctic?
- Obesity: The New Global Crisis
- Bill Gates Makes For A Pretty Decent Cartoon