Posts Tagged: ‘Harley-Davidson’
Over on the Stuff You Missed in History Class Pinterest board, I spotted a photo of Dot Robinson, who became known as the First Lady of Motorcyling. The 1939 portrait (which is also, I discovered, the cover image of “The American Motorcycle Girls: A Photographic History of Women and Motorcycles“) shows Robinson dressed in a natty outfit with bow perched on her head to boot, sitting astride a Harley-Davidson EL Knucklehead. Her Australian father was a motorcycle sidecar mechanic who reportedly scooted her mother to the hospital when she went into labor with Dot. Growing up in the shop, Dot took to the sport and married a fellow motorcycle enthusiast with whom she clocked hundreds of thousands of miles with both on- and off-road.
It’s autumn, and the leaves are changing. What better time to hop on a motorcycle and get up close and personal with nature? This week on Stuff Mom Never Told You, Cristen and I talked about motorcycles and the women who love ‘em. The ranks of those women are growing — Harley-Davidson has launched an extensive marketing effort to get more women on bikes. Motorcycles have the reputation of being more of a boy’s toy, but in looking back through history, we found plenty of young ladies who were crossing the country via motorcycle.
Recent Postings by Category
- Thank You and Best Wishes to Marshall Brain
- Contest – Design a $300 house and win $25,000
- How the Philtrum works – the place under your nose where your face comes together
The Coolest Stuff on the Planet
- Why can a 5 foot 8 inch man dunk a basketball on a 10 foot rim while some people of taller stature can’t?
- What happens to our sun once it runs out of fuel?
- How do we know the age of the universe?
Stuff Mom Never Told You
Stuff to Blow Your Mind
- Blow Your Mind: Slay Your Paper Tigers
- Space Religion: Cao Dai and the 72 Inhabited Exoplanets
- Blow the Mind: Objects of Love
Stuff You Should Know
- “In The Neighborhood” by Jon Stewart Mosman
- “Thanatos” by Christopher Vincola
- “Frame Story” by Adam Pracht
The Stuff of Genius
- Show Notes: Heart-stopping Last Laps of Racing
- Never say Never: Jaguar XJ220 Spotted in the Wild!
- What’s your pick for the 2013 Indianapolis 500 pace car?
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 152: Final Episodes
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 151: Mailbag!
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 150: Barbie!
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know
Stuff to Change the World
- Who will own the Arctic?
- Obesity: The New Global Crisis
- Bill Gates Makes For A Pretty Decent Cartoon
Stuff You Missed in History Class
- Missed in History: Sei Shonagon
- Missed in History: The Boston Massacre
- Missed in History: Zenobia (Revisited)