Posts Tagged: ‘gender roles’
Most recently, this admittedly heteronormative housewife versus career woman back-and-forth has revolved around domestic work. Specifically, how men and women split chores and childcare, whether women are biologically primed to bear more of those burdens and how keeping a tidy home squares with feminism. And from the sampling of sources below, I’ve concluded that when it comes to housewifery, the more things change, the more they say the same.
For about $400, cosmetic dentists affix fake pointy teeth called yaeba, translated ‘double teeth,’ that creates an illusion of having crowded baby teeth, a.k.a. snaggleteeth. Fang-like teeth are considered cute and girlish in contemporary Japanese culture, and one of the dentists who first began performing the procedure also has pushed for its popularization by creating an all-girl, snaggletooth pop group TYB48, or Tseuke-Yaeba 48.
Heterosexual dating customs say the guy should be ready to whip out the wallet on the first date, but isn’t that a little antiquated? Perhaps, but a 2007 Salon interview with famed anthropologist Helen Fisher indicates that heteros might be biologically “hard-wired” for this fiscal arrangement, rather than just tethered to outmoded courting rituals.
Recent Postings by Category
- Thank You and Best Wishes to Marshall Brain
- Contest – Design a $300 house and win $25,000
- How the Philtrum works – the place under your nose where your face comes together
The Coolest Stuff on the Planet
- Why can a 5 foot 8 inch man dunk a basketball on a 10 foot rim while some people of taller stature can’t?
- What happens to our sun once it runs out of fuel?
- How do we know the age of the universe?
Stuff Mom Never Told You
- Do women have neater handwriting than men?
- Is learning cursive handwriting good for kids’ brains?
- Does motherhood improve brainpower?
Stuff to Blow Your Mind
- Blow Your Mind: Slay Your Paper Tigers
- Space Religion: Cao Dai and the 72 Inhabited Exoplanets
- Blow the Mind: Objects of Love
Stuff You Should Know
- “In The Neighborhood” by Jon Stewart Mosman
- “Thanatos” by Christopher Vincola
- “Frame Story” by Adam Pracht
The Stuff of Genius
- Show Notes: Heart-stopping Last Laps of Racing
- Never say Never: Jaguar XJ220 Spotted in the Wild!
- What’s your pick for the 2013 Indianapolis 500 pace car?
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 152: Final Episodes
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 151: Mailbag!
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 150: Barbie!
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know
Stuff to Change the World
- Who will own the Arctic?
- Obesity: The New Global Crisis
- Bill Gates Makes For A Pretty Decent Cartoon