Posts Tagged: ‘Domestic violence’
by Cristen Conger | February 13, 2013
At face value, VAWA might seem like a no-brainer, bipartisan initiative to support, especially considering its background and stated intention. But nearly 20 years later, some conservative politicians and voters alike oppose reauthorization because they tend to disagree with the gendered nature of the legislation as well as its proposed $659 million price tag.
In our episode on female astronauts, Molly and I perpetuated a myth during our listener mail segment. Say it ain’t so!
We read an email about the supposed etymology of the phrase “rule of thumb,” linking it to an old law about wife beating. As the myth goes, “rule of thumb” relates to a British law, allowing a husband to beat his wife with a stick, as long as it isn’t wider than the man’s thumb.
by Molly Edmonds | February 17, 2011
Here’s a staggering statistic for you: one in four women in the United States experiences domestic violence at some point in her life. One in four!
It can be hard to extract yourself from an abusive relationship and begin to live again without fear. That difficulty is compounded if you bear the scars of your past. That’s why the work of people like Dr. Andrew Jacono is so important. Dr. Jacono provides free plastic surgery to women who have endured physical abuse, and his work is profiled on a new show called “Facing Trauma.”
by Marshall Brain | January 14, 2011
So, imagine that you are in a relationship with someone. It might be a romantic relationship, an employment relationship, a rental relationship, a neighborly relationship, etc. But the two of you have a falling out. In most cases, the two parties go their separate ways and that is the end of it. But sometimes, for […]
Recent Postings by Category
- Thank You and Best Wishes to Marshall Brain
- Contest – Design a $300 house and win $25,000
- How the Philtrum works – the place under your nose where your face comes together
The Coolest Stuff on the Planet
- Why can a 5 foot 8 inch man dunk a basketball on a 10 foot rim while some people of taller stature can’t?
- What happens to our sun once it runs out of fuel?
- How do we know the age of the universe?
Stuff Mom Never Told You
Stuff to Blow Your Mind
- Blow Your Mind: Slay Your Paper Tigers
- Space Religion: Cao Dai and the 72 Inhabited Exoplanets
- Blow the Mind: Objects of Love
Stuff You Should Know
- “In The Neighborhood” by Jon Stewart Mosman
- “Frame Story” by Adam Pracht
- “Thanatos” by Christopher Vincola
The Stuff of Genius
- Show Notes: Heart-stopping Last Laps of Racing
- Never say Never: Jaguar XJ220 Spotted in the Wild!
- What’s your pick for the 2013 Indianapolis 500 pace car?
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 152: Final Episodes
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 151: Mailbag!
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 150: Barbie!
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know
Stuff to Change the World
- Who will own the Arctic?
- Obesity: The New Global Crisis
- Bill Gates Makes For A Pretty Decent Cartoon
Stuff You Missed in History Class
- Missed in History: The Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters
- Missed in History: The Disappearance of Judge Crater
- Missed in History: Maurice Duplessis