Posts Tagged: ‘dolls’
Although it’s been around since the early 1990s, I’ve just learned about the “Reborn” doll subculture of collectors who buy up pricey baby dolls, strip the paint off their faces and sometimes remove their stuffing in order to give them second, far more realistic-looking, lives. An editor of Doll Crafter magazine told The New York Times in 2005 that “reborning” came out of a confluence of doll collecting, DIY, and the popularity of eBay where many reborn babies are bought and sold. Now, The New York Times photo blog has published a series from Rebecca Martinez who documented the reborn doll trend for five years…
Let’s face it; disfigured dolls are creepy.
Welcome to La Isla de las Munecas (translation, the Island of the Dolls), home of zombie dolls. The “island” is located in the canals of Xochimilco, outside of Mexico City. Here’s its appropriately bizarre backstory…
by Molly Edmonds | September 30, 2010
This week, our Stuff Mom Never Told You episodes were inspired by nostalgia and by our travel wish list. The nostalgia led to a podcast on our favorite childhood dolls (exempting Barbie and the American Girl dolls, which had been discussed previously) and a yearning for vacation led us to escape to the wonderful world of Scandinavia, which, if you believe the media, is a gender rights Shangri-la. So what did we learn?
In this episode, Molly and Cristen take a nostalgic trip down memory lane as they pay tribute to three beloved (non-Barbie) dolls from their childhoods.
Recent Postings by Category
- Thank You and Best Wishes to Marshall Brain
- Contest – Design a $300 house and win $25,000
- How the Philtrum works – the place under your nose where your face comes together
The Coolest Stuff on the Planet
- Why can a 5 foot 8 inch man dunk a basketball on a 10 foot rim while some people of taller stature can’t?
- What happens to our sun once it runs out of fuel?
- How do we know the age of the universe?
Stuff Mom Never Told You
Stuff to Blow Your Mind
- Blow Your Mind: Slay Your Paper Tigers
- Space Religion: Cao Dai and the 72 Inhabited Exoplanets
- Blow the Mind: Objects of Love
Stuff You Should Know
- “In The Neighborhood” by Jon Stewart Mosman
- “Thanatos” by Christopher Vincola
- “Frame Story” by Adam Pracht
The Stuff of Genius
- Show Notes: Heart-stopping Last Laps of Racing
- Never say Never: Jaguar XJ220 Spotted in the Wild!
- What’s your pick for the 2013 Indianapolis 500 pace car?
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 152: Final Episodes
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 151: Mailbag!
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 150: Barbie!
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know
Stuff to Change the World
- Who will own the Arctic?
- Obesity: The New Global Crisis
- Bill Gates Makes For A Pretty Decent Cartoon
Stuff You Missed in History Class
- Missed in History: The Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters
- Missed in History: The Disappearance of Judge Crater
- Missed in History: Maurice Duplessis