Posts Tagged: ‘dating violence’
by Cristen Conger | February 14, 2013
The Onion, fake news site extraordinaire and one of my favorite places on the entire Interwebs, celebrated Valentine’s Day with some hilarious headlines like, “Girlfriend Just Wants to Have Low-Key, Laid-Back Valentine’s Day Fight This Year” (don’t we all?!) and “Mother Considers Son ‘Quite the Little Casanova’” (don’t we all?! wait.). It even offered readers tips for spicing up this most special of non-holidays, such as “Greet him at the door wearing nothing but his dead wife’s clothes.”
But it was hard to get a kick out of that comedy gold after watching its lead Valentine’s Day video, “Devoted Abuser Stops By Girlfriend’s Office To Deliver Surprise Threat.”
A few weeks ago, Cristen and I dedicated an episode of Stuff Mom Never Told You to the topic of dating violence. According to a report in Pediatric Nursing, one in three teenage girls report some level of dating violence, which includes everything from verbal and emotional abuse to physical abuse and rape.
Cristen and I focused our discussion specifically on teens because research indicates that younger people have a far harder time determining that they are being abused and they’re extremely likely to think that the abuse was justified, a reasonable response for something they may have done. Both of these views are likely the result of teens being in their first real relationship; not only do they want to preserve a first love, they also have fewer experiences of healthy relationships to serve as a model for what is normal.
But what if you’re on the outside of the relationship, and you see behavior between a couple that’s clearly not normal nor healthy? We asked our listeners for advice on this situation, and we received a ton of great advice.
Recent Postings by Category
- Thank You and Best Wishes to Marshall Brain
- Contest – Design a $300 house and win $25,000
- How the Philtrum works – the place under your nose where your face comes together
The Coolest Stuff on the Planet
- Why can a 5 foot 8 inch man dunk a basketball on a 10 foot rim while some people of taller stature can’t?
- What happens to our sun once it runs out of fuel?
- How do we know the age of the universe?
Stuff Mom Never Told You
Stuff to Blow Your Mind
- Blow Your Mind: Slay Your Paper Tigers
- Space Religion: Cao Dai and the 72 Inhabited Exoplanets
- Blow the Mind: Objects of Love
Stuff You Should Know
- “In The Neighborhood” by Jon Stewart Mosman
- “Thanatos” by Christopher Vincola
- “Frame Story” by Adam Pracht
The Stuff of Genius
- Show Notes: Heart-stopping Last Laps of Racing
- Never say Never: Jaguar XJ220 Spotted in the Wild!
- What’s your pick for the 2013 Indianapolis 500 pace car?
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 152: Final Episodes
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 151: Mailbag!
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 150: Barbie!
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know
Stuff to Change the World
- Who will own the Arctic?
- Obesity: The New Global Crisis
- Bill Gates Makes For A Pretty Decent Cartoon
Stuff You Missed in History Class
- Missed in History: The Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters
- Missed in History: The Disappearance of Judge Crater
- Missed in History: Maurice Duplessis