Posts Tagged: ‘cocktails’
by Tracy V. Wilson | December 31, 2012
We’re not trying to glorify drunkenness here, but it’s New Year’s, which means, for a lot of people, it’s a time for drink. So after a little reminiscing about New Year’s Eves of the past, we look at the history and nomenclature of cocktails.
I’ve been editing a TLC article on restaurants you should try before you die, and I’m really intrigued by this chef Grant Achatz, owner of Alinea in Chicago; he sketches dishes and cocktails on paper. For example, in this sketch (via GQ), an edible wall divides the cocktail in half; on one side, the beverage is cold and on the other it’s hot. Servers will instruct the patron to remove the wall, eat it, and then take a swig of the hot/cold cocktail — “which showcases the temperature contrast,” Achatz told GQ.
I mean, whoa.
Vegetarians, I hope that what I’m about to say doesn’t offend, but I love bacon. It doesn’t feature in my daily diet, I’ll buy a pack every few months or so and indulge in all sorts of bacon-laden delights until the very last strip sizzles away sadly in the frying pan. I’ve even been known to nibble on bacon chocolate (oh yes, it exists) on a special occasion. So imagine my delight when I ran across a post on the Atlantic’s Mixmaster blog about bacon bourbon.
I ran across an article in June 2009 edition of The Atlantic that opened my eyes to how the oft-ignored ice cubes can make or break a fabulous drink. The machine-generated pellets you’ll encounter behind most bars are often sub-par pairings because they’re porous and melt quickly. The chichi Chicago bar that the Atlantic writer visited offered eight different types of ice — chunk, shard, chipped, etc. — tailored for various spirits.
Recent Postings by Category
- Thank You and Best Wishes to Marshall Brain
- Contest – Design a $300 house and win $25,000
- How the Philtrum works – the place under your nose where your face comes together
The Coolest Stuff on the Planet
- Why can a 5 foot 8 inch man dunk a basketball on a 10 foot rim while some people of taller stature can’t?
- What happens to our sun once it runs out of fuel?
- How do we know the age of the universe?
Stuff Mom Never Told You
Stuff to Blow Your Mind
- Blow Your Mind: Slay Your Paper Tigers
- Space Religion: Cao Dai and the 72 Inhabited Exoplanets
- Blow the Mind: Objects of Love
Stuff You Should Know
- “In The Neighborhood” by Jon Stewart Mosman
- “Frame Story” by Adam Pracht
- “Thanatos” by Christopher Vincola
The Stuff of Genius
- Show Notes: Heart-stopping Last Laps of Racing
- Never say Never: Jaguar XJ220 Spotted in the Wild!
- What’s your pick for the 2013 Indianapolis 500 pace car?
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 152: Final Episodes
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 151: Mailbag!
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 150: Barbie!
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know
Stuff to Change the World
- Who will own the Arctic?
- Obesity: The New Global Crisis
- Bill Gates Makes For A Pretty Decent Cartoon
Stuff You Missed in History Class
- Missed in History: The Axman of New Orleans Part 1
- Missed in History: Sei Shonagon
- Missed in History: The Boston Massacre