Posts Tagged: ‘breast cancer’
First came vajazzling, with women (and some men) paying aestheticians to glue crystals around their pubic area, much to doctors’ chagrin. Now, The Telegraph reports that women in the UK are getting temporary nipple tattoos to darken the areola — sometimes in addition to breast augmentations. Since the tattoo ink fades over time, these nipple tattoos only last up to 18 months before they need retouching. Nevertheless, they aren’t cheap. To darken both nipples can cost more than $1,800.
by Cristen Conger | February 6, 2013
Philadelphia-based tattoo artist Vinnie Myers only inks one kind of tattoo these days. Seeing at least three clients per day, Myers keeps busy tattooing incredibly life-like nipples on post-mastectomy patients’ breasts…
National Breast Cancer Awareness Month doesn’t take place until October, when the pink and Halloween orange will duke it out for color supremacy (I’d put my cash on pink, FYI), but new research (via Forbes) indicates that it’s time to rethink pink.
Stuff Mom Never Told You listeners from way back when might remember a podcast on breast cancer genes known as BRCA 1 and BRCA 2. (The episode is entitled “Why is there a patent on the breast cancer genes?” if you’d like to give it a listen). Having a mutation in either of those genes significantly increases a person’s risk of developing breast and ovarian cancer.
As the orange and black Halloween season gets underway, don’t forget to think pink this October. This month marks the 25th anniversary of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and people around the country are participating in events to honor and support breast cancer survivors, patients and research. According to the American Cancer Society, breast cancer affects one in eight women in the United States. Although the breast cancer death rate has been on a 2 percent annual decline in recent years, more than 192,000 new cases will be diagnosed in 2009.
Recent Postings by Category
- Thank You and Best Wishes to Marshall Brain
- Contest – Design a $300 house and win $25,000
- How the Philtrum works – the place under your nose where your face comes together
The Coolest Stuff on the Planet
- Why can a 5 foot 8 inch man dunk a basketball on a 10 foot rim while some people of taller stature can’t?
- What happens to our sun once it runs out of fuel?
- How do we know the age of the universe?
Stuff Mom Never Told You
- 18th-Century Mayonnaise
- Do women have neater handwriting than men?
- Is learning cursive handwriting good for kids’ brains?
Stuff to Blow Your Mind
- Blow Your Mind: Slay Your Paper Tigers
- Space Religion: Cao Dai and the 72 Inhabited Exoplanets
- Blow the Mind: Objects of Love
Stuff You Should Know
- “In The Neighborhood” by Jon Stewart Mosman
- “Frame Story” by Adam Pracht
- “Thanatos” by Christopher Vincola
The Stuff of Genius
- Show Notes: Heart-stopping Last Laps of Racing
- Never say Never: Jaguar XJ220 Spotted in the Wild!
- What’s your pick for the 2013 Indianapolis 500 pace car?
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 152: Final Episodes
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 151: Mailbag!
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 150: Barbie!
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know
Stuff to Change the World
- Who will own the Arctic?
- Obesity: The New Global Crisis
- Bill Gates Makes For A Pretty Decent Cartoon