Posts Tagged: ‘BrainStuff podcast’
A Dippy Bird is a strange-looking novelty toy, but how does it work? Marshall Brain breaks down the surprisingly sophisticated mechanics of the Dippy Bird in this episode.
Motion cards, which have been around for decades, give the illusion of motion using multiple images and a special printing process. In this episode, Marshall discusses the technology behind motion cards and how it has improved over the years.
October 20, 2010
Self-driving cars seem like the stuff of science fiction, but they’re closer to becoming reality than you might think. In this episode, Marshall breaks down the technology behind experimental self-driving cars.
October 18, 2010
If you’re trying to access the Internet in a very rural or remote place, satellite Internet is probably your best bet. In this episode, Marshall explains how satellite Internet works.
Instant cameras made it possible to see a photograph almost immediately after you’d taken it. But how? In this episode, Marshall explains the chemical processes behind regular and instant photographic film.
Skin covers our bodies, so it’s very easy for this delicate organ to get irritated. In this episode, Marshall explains why our bodies respond to irritants with an itching sensation — and why we’re programmed to scratch.
If you enjoy drinking carbonated water, this episode’s for you! Listen in as Marshall Brain explains how to make your own carbonated water at home for a fraction of the price you pay in stores.
When it comes to differentiating between hardwoods and softwoods, it’s not a matter of hardness or density — it’s all about plant reproduction. Marshall explains what angiosperms and gymnosperms are in this episode.
One night, Marshall went outside with a headlight lamp on his head and discovered that his backyard was full of sparkling reflections. What were these sparkles? Discover the surprising answer in this episode.
Continuous chest compression is an updated form of CPR that’s much easier to administer — and, studies suggest, more effective. In this episode, Marshall Brain explains how CCC works.
Recent Postings by Category
- Thank You and Best Wishes to Marshall Brain
- Contest – Design a $300 house and win $25,000
- How the Philtrum works – the place under your nose where your face comes together
The Coolest Stuff on the Planet
- Why can a 5 foot 8 inch man dunk a basketball on a 10 foot rim while some people of taller stature can’t?
- What happens to our sun once it runs out of fuel?
- How do we know the age of the universe?
Stuff Mom Never Told You
Stuff to Blow Your Mind
- Blow Your Mind: Slay Your Paper Tigers
- Space Religion: Cao Dai and the 72 Inhabited Exoplanets
- Blow the Mind: Objects of Love
Stuff You Should Know
- “In The Neighborhood” by Jon Stewart Mosman
- “Frame Story” by Adam Pracht
- “Thanatos” by Christopher Vincola
The Stuff of Genius
- Show Notes: Heart-stopping Last Laps of Racing
- Never say Never: Jaguar XJ220 Spotted in the Wild!
- What’s your pick for the 2013 Indianapolis 500 pace car?
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 152: Final Episodes
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 151: Mailbag!
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 150: Barbie!
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know
Stuff to Change the World
- Who will own the Arctic?
- Obesity: The New Global Crisis
- Bill Gates Makes For A Pretty Decent Cartoon
Stuff You Missed in History Class
- Missed in History: The Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters
- Missed in History: The Disappearance of Judge Crater
- Missed in History: Maurice Duplessis