Posts Tagged: ‘ancient aliens’
Sometimes I work in a little Netflix Streaming over my morning coffee. It’s how I’m slowly watching Lars von Trier’s “Antichrist” in tolerable 5 minute intervals and how I somehow watch “Barbarella” once a month.
This morning, I chanced upon the influential 1970 documentary “Chariots of the Gods,” based on the 1968 book by Erich von Däniken. Naturally, ancient alien theories remain the domain of conspiracy theorists and new age wonkery, but the documentary is still thought-provoking in its own way — and wonderfully fossilized in the mire of its time.
So sit back and imagine a world where extraterrestrials visited our ancestors — complete with futuristic jazz, spacey synth, excessive Andean flute music and predictions that man will step foot on Mars before the year 2000. If you’re not a current user, it’s a good use of that free trial.
For centuries, the achievements of the past baffled modern societies. How could ancient empires build architectural marvels like the pyramids or the Nazca lines? Tune in and learn more about the conspiracy theorists who think they’ve found the answer.
Recent Postings by Category
- Thank You and Best Wishes to Marshall Brain
- Contest – Design a $300 house and win $25,000
- How the Philtrum works – the place under your nose where your face comes together
The Coolest Stuff on the Planet
- Why can a 5 foot 8 inch man dunk a basketball on a 10 foot rim while some people of taller stature can’t?
- What happens to our sun once it runs out of fuel?
- How do we know the age of the universe?
Stuff Mom Never Told You
Stuff to Blow Your Mind
- Blow Your Mind: Slay Your Paper Tigers
- Space Religion: Cao Dai and the 72 Inhabited Exoplanets
- Blow the Mind: Objects of Love
Stuff You Should Know
- “In The Neighborhood” by Jon Stewart Mosman
- “Frame Story” by Adam Pracht
- “Thanatos” by Christopher Vincola
The Stuff of Genius
- Show Notes: Heart-stopping Last Laps of Racing
- Never say Never: Jaguar XJ220 Spotted in the Wild!
- What’s your pick for the 2013 Indianapolis 500 pace car?
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 152: Final Episodes
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 151: Mailbag!
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 150: Barbie!
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know
Stuff to Change the World
- Who will own the Arctic?
- Obesity: The New Global Crisis
- Bill Gates Makes For A Pretty Decent Cartoon
Stuff You Missed in History Class
- Missed in History: Sei Shonagon
- Missed in History: The Boston Massacre
- Missed in History: Zenobia (Revisited)