You’re probably not at all surprised to learn that Holly loves Valentine’s Day. After all, it is pink and sparkly. But even though it’s supposed to be about love and happiness, it’s a particularly contentious holiday. We talk about why (and some ways to make it less stressful).
- Gift giving as an economic indicator
- Our histories with the day
- The many criticisms of Valentine’s Day, and other ways to look at it
- Most gift giving in heterosexual relationships on Valentine’s Day: from men to women
- Some other gender trends and trait trends in Valentine’s Day
- Happiness and presents
- Whether Valentine’s Day kills relationships
- Valentine’s Day practices among different relationship configurations
- Gifts for rites of passage vs. rights of progression
- How many Valentine’s Day wedding proposals there are, versus other holidays (I haven’t found a stat for that)
- Star Wars Valentine’s Day
- Listener mail! From Jordan about our wedding proposal episode
- How Valentine’s Day Works
- Close, Angeline and George M. Zinkhan. “A Holiday Loved and Loathed: A Consumer Perspective of Valentine’s Day.” Advances in Consumer Research. 2006.
- Morse, Katherine A. and Steven L. Neuberg. “How do holidays influence relationship processes and outcomes? Examining the instigating and catalytic effects of Valentine’s Day.” Personal Relationships. 2004.
- Netemeyer, Richard G. “A Comparison of Three Behavioral Intention Models: The Case for Valentine’s Day Gift-giving.” Advances in Consumer Research. 1993.
- Ogletree, Shirley Matile. “’How do I Love Thee?’ Let Me Count the Valentines.” Social Behavior and Personality. 1993.
- Otnes, Cele. “The Pleasure and Pain of Being Close: Men’s Mixed Feelings About Participation in Valentine’s Day Gift Exchange.” Advances in Consumer Research. 1994.
- Rugimbana, Robert. “The Role of Social Power Relations in Gift Giving on Valentine’s Day.” Journal of Consumer Behaviour Vol. 3, 1.
- How Valentine’s Day Can Ruin Your Relationship
- From DINKS to polyamory, the guide to how people spend Valentine’s Day
- Valentine’s Day 2012, by the Numbers
- The New Valentine Stories: What We Expect