We’re super excited about Thanksgiving, because: food. And since every food episode we do gets lots of excited food e-mail, we thought one on Thanksgiving food might be a good plan.
- Other foodie holidays: Hanukkah, Christmas hams, etc.
- What people’s favorite food is, according to Gallup: Turkey. Least favorite: Cranberries, which is sad.
- Some of our own favorites: potato casserole, persimmon pudding and dressing
- Turkey, big families and all the work involved in making a big Thanksgiving meal
- A big ol’ paper I read about all the consumption rituals on Thanksgiving, and lots of conclusions from it.
- SHOCKER: A study says some college students gain weight after Thanksgiving.
- Thanksgiving sandwiches in restaurants
- What to do with the leftovers
- More on cranberry sauce
- This is where we basically started just naming foods.
- Then we got a little punchy from talking about food while we were hungry.
- Listener mail! From Stephanie, who wrote about our coffee episode and Tim Horton’s.
- Episode link: Will be added later (I wrote the notes before the episode existed, because of Thanksgiving).
- How Thanksgiving Works
- Carroll, Joseph. “Pass the Turkey, Say Americans.” Gallup. Nov. 24, 2004.
- Hull, Holly R. et al. “The effect of the Thanksgiving Holiday on weight gain.” Nutrition Journal. 2006.
- Wallendorf, Melanie and Eric J. Arnould. “’We Gather Together’: Consumption Rituals of Thanksgiving Day.” Journal of Consumer Research. Vol. 18. 1991.
- Thanksgiving dinner may curb holiday spending, study shows
- The Invention of Thanksgiving: A ritual of American nationality
- 9 Wild Inventions for Thanksgiving