We wanted to let you know that Marshall Brain will be leaving Discovery and HowStuffWorks to pursue new ventures and opportunities. Over the past 13 years, Marshall created HowStuffWorks from scratch and then helped grow it into the company that it has become today – a site with almost 20 million unique visitors a month. […]
If you go to 300house.com you can learn about a fascinating project/contest whose goal is to design a $300 house for the world’s two billion poorest inhabitants: We started with five simple questions: * How can organic, self-built slums be turned into livable housing? * What might a house-for-the-poor look like? * How can world-class […]
This quick video offers a perspective on where the philtrum (the two bumps under your nose and above your lips) comes from: According to the video: “This whole amazing process – the bits coming together to produce a recognizable human face – happens in the womb between two and three months.” Other people see the […]
Peugeot EX1 Now Holds The Electric Car Lap Record At Nurburgring – “Peugeot EX1, the all-electric concept car now holds the electric car lap record at Germany’s Nürburgring circuit. The car was unveiled at the 2010 Paris Motor Show, and has already broken half a dozen speed records up till now….” GE and EADS to […]
This video was taken in California recently and is titled “Earthquake Testing Trucks In Action” by the person who created it: He says: “This is going on wardlow avenue out in front of my house. I thought it was an earthquake at first and ran outside when my house started to shake.” So why are […]
Let’s say you are an adult and you have always wanted to be a race car driver. Or let’s say you are a kid, without a driver’s license, and you would like to learn to be a race car driver. You have several options. One relatively inexpensive way is to start by driving a kart, […]
What can you shoot out of a shotgun? It turns out that there are a surprising variety of things… Let’s say you are going to use a shotgun for hunting. A typical shotgun shell shoots a small handful of pellets. You pick the size of the pellets based on the size of what you are […]
Eee Transformer Demand “Far” Outpacing Expectations For Asus – “Wondering why it’s so hard to find an Eee Transformer these days? It’s not because there’s not enough parts to make things, or that there’s a problem with the quality. According to Netbook News, who contacted Asus spokesperson David Chang, it’s just because the device is […]
Can you take all the parts of a PC, fit them onto a board that is the size of a stick of gum and then charge $25 for it? Seeing is believing: The first line of the video is so simple, but also mind-blowing: This little device is the prototype version of a Raspberry Pi […]
Plans for a 4,000mph underwater train from New York to London – “Vacuum Tube Train: A 4,000-mph magnetically levitated train could allow you to have lunch in Manhattan and still get to London in time for the theater, despite the 5-hour time difference. It’s not impossible: Norway has studied neutrally buoyant tunnels (concluding that they’re […]
Recent Postings by Category
- Thank You and Best Wishes to Marshall Brain
- Contest – Design a $300 house and win $25,000
- How the Philtrum works – the place under your nose where your face comes together
The Coolest Stuff on the Planet
- Why can a 5 foot 8 inch man dunk a basketball on a 10 foot rim while some people of taller stature can’t?
- What happens to our sun once it runs out of fuel?
- How do we know the age of the universe?
Stuff Mom Never Told You
Stuff to Blow Your Mind
- Blow Your Mind: Slay Your Paper Tigers
- Space Religion: Cao Dai and the 72 Inhabited Exoplanets
- Blow the Mind: Objects of Love
Stuff You Should Know
- “In The Neighborhood” by Jon Stewart Mosman
- “Thanatos” by Christopher Vincola
- “Frame Story” by Adam Pracht
The Stuff of Genius
- Show Notes: Heart-stopping Last Laps of Racing
- Never say Never: Jaguar XJ220 Spotted in the Wild!
- What’s your pick for the 2013 Indianapolis 500 pace car?
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 152: Final Episodes
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 151: Mailbag!
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 150: Barbie!
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know
Stuff to Change the World
- Who will own the Arctic?
- Obesity: The New Global Crisis
- Bill Gates Makes For A Pretty Decent Cartoon
Stuff You Missed in History Class
- Missed in History: The Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters
- Missed in History: The Disappearance of Judge Crater
- Missed in History: Maurice Duplessis