Here is my journey so far with the Dukan Diet:
- I wrote an article on the Dukan diet: How the Dukan Diet works – The French diet that is supposed to end the obesity epidemic
- I started with a 5-day “attack phase” (Phase 1): Yesterday I finished a five-day “Attack Phase” on the Dukan Diet and lost 6.6 pounds – here’s a report on how it went (days 1 to 5)
- I went through 25 weeks of “cruise phase” (Phase 2) and lost a total of 52 pounds, going from 221.0 pounds down to 175.4. (Days 6 through 179). You can see my before and after photos and a summary of my cruise phase exploits on this page.
- I am now on my fourth week of “consolidation phase” (Phase 3), where I am trying to eat more normally and maintain my weight. You can see what happened in previous weeks here:
– Week 1 (I lost 0.2 pounds – 175.2)
– Week 2 (I gained 2.2 pounds – 177.4)
– Week 3 (I gained 2.8 pounds – 181.2)
– Week 4 (I lost 5.0 pounds – 176.2)
This week I am just going to do a quick note to mark a certain revelation that I am beginning to fully appreciate.
If you look back through my posts, you can see that I was able to get my weight down to 175 using Phase 2 of the Dukan diet. But then as I reintroduced carbs in Phase 3, my weight went quickly back to 182. That was pure water weight.
Then last week I got sick, switched back to pure protein and shed almost all of that water weight in just a few days. I went back down to 176.
Now this week I reintroduced carbs again. In one day I gained more than two pounds. On Friday night I had a full serving of rice/cheese casserole, which is completely allowed in Phase 3 as far as I understand. I gained 3 more pounds the next day. Then we celebrated Leigh’s birthday over the weekend (twice), and I had some pizza and cake. I gained more water. Today I weigh 183.
So I am starting to understand something. I really have two weights for my body right now. There is the weight I have if I am eating pure protein and, in the process, shedding water. In that case I can weigh 175/176. Then there is the weight I have if I go off pure protein and consume any Phase 3 carbs. In that case I immediately (like in a few hours) start retaining water and I quickly weigh 182/183.
I know for a fact that if, today, I switch back to pure protein, next week I will weigh 175. But then a week later, as I start eating Phase 3 carbs again, I will go back to 182. It’s a little weird, but that is a fact of life.
So… what to do? I think the thing to try would be to keep eating Phase 3 carbs, and then try losing weight while doing so to get my weight, with water onboard, down to 175. In other words, try losing weight while eating Phase 3 carbs, mainly through portion control. I do not know if that is possible. I also know that this week is Thanksgiving – not traditionally a good time for weight loss…
Here are the days I recorded this week. Over the weekend there was so much going on that I got off track on my recording:
Day 207 -
- On the scale this morning I weigh 176.2.
- Today I ate half a pound of Tilapia, a pound and a half of chicken, a cup of plain yogurt, 2 cups of blueberries, an eggbeaters omelet, 400 calories of peanuts and walnuts, 4 cups of popcorn and 2 slices of bread. Maybe 2,400 calories altogether.
- No exercise.
Day 208 -
- I guess because of the carbs yesterday, I gained weigh today. I weighed 178.6 this morning. I’m not particularly happy about this.
- Today I ate half a pound of chicken, a cup of plain yogurt, 2 cups of blueberries, 200 calories of peanuts and walnuts, and then I had lunch as a chinese buffet place that was awesome. I stuck strictly with protein, so I took in a lot of salt but zero carbs (except for the fortune cookie). After lunch I ate half a pound of chicken, 400 calories of peanuts and walnuts, another cup of plain yogurt and another cup of blueberries. Maybe 2,500 calories.
- No exercise to speak of. My lungs are still messed up.
Day 209 -
- Today on the scale I weigh 178.2
- Today I ate a pound of chicken, a cup of cottage cheese (first cottage cheese in a long time), 2 cups of plain yogurt, 3 cups of berries, 400 calories of peanuts and walnuts, an eggbeaters omelet and a couple slices of lunch meat. Maybe 1,800 calories.
- No exercise.
Day 210 -
- Today on the scale I weigh 178.6. Maybe it’s the salt from the cottage cheese.
- Today I ate a pound of chicken, half a pound of salmon, a cup of cottage cheese, 2 cups plain yogurt, 3 cups of berries, 4 cups of popcorn, 200 calories of peanuts and walnuts. And then tonight we had rice/cheese casserole for the kids and I had a full serving at the family meal…
Day 211, 212, 213, 214 -
- Nothing recorded. I did get back into walking daily over the weekend. On Saturday I walked 3 miles, on Sunday 2, on Monday 4. That felt good.