Here is my journey so far with the Dukan Diet:
- I wrote an article on the Dukan diet: How the Dukan Diet works – The French diet that is supposed to end the obesity epidemic
- I started with a 5-day "attack phase" (Phase 1): Yesterday I finished a five-day “Attack Phase” on the Dukan Diet and lost 6.6 pounds – here's a report on how it went (days 1 to 5)
- I went through 25 weeks of "cruise phase" (Phase 2) and lost a total of 52 pounds, going from 221.0 pounds down to 175.4. (Days 6 through 179). You can see my before and after photos and a summary of my cruise phase exploits on this page.
- I am now on my fourth week of "consolidation phase" (Phase 3), where I am trying to eat more normally and maintain my weight. You can see what happened in previous weeks here:
- Week 1 (I lost 0.2 pounds - 175.2)
- Week 2 (I gained 2.2 pounds - 177.4)
- Week 3 (I gained 2.8 pounds - 181.2)
- Week 4 (I lost 5.0 pounds - 176.2)
This week I am just going to do a quick note to mark a certain revelation that I am beginning to fully appreciate.
If you look back through my posts, you can see that I was able to get my weight down to 175 using Phase 2 of the Dukan diet. But then as I reintroduced carbs in Phase 3, my weight went quickly back to 182. That was pure water weight.
Then last week I got sick, switched back to pure protein and shed almost all of that water weight in just a few days. I went back down to 176.
Now this week I reintroduced carbs again. In one day I gained more than two pounds. On Friday night I had a full serving of rice/cheese casserole, which is completely allowed in Phase 3 as far as I understand. I gained 3 more pounds the next day. Then we celebrated Leigh's birthday over the weekend (twice), and I had some pizza and cake. I gained more water. Today I weigh 183.
So I am starting to understand something. I really have two weights for my body right now. There is the weight I have if I am eating pure protein and, in the process, shedding water. In that case I can weigh 175/176. Then there is the weight I have if I go off pure protein and consume any Phase 3 carbs. In that case I immediately (like in a few hours) start retaining water and I quickly weigh 182/183.
I know for a fact that if, today, I switch back to pure protein, next week I will weigh 175. But then a week later, as I start eating Phase 3 carbs again, I will go back to 182. It's a little weird, but that is a fact of life.
So... what to do? I think the thing to try would be to keep eating Phase 3 carbs, and then try losing weight while doing so to get my weight, with water onboard, down to 175. In other words, try losing weight while eating Phase 3 carbs, mainly through portion control. I do not know if that is possible. I also know that this week is Thanksgiving - not traditionally a good time for weight loss...
Here are the days I recorded this week. Over the weekend there was so much going on that I got off track on my recording:
Day 207 -
Day 208 -
Day 209 -
Day 210 -
Day 211, 212, 213, 214 -