Here is my journey so far with the Dukan Diet:
- I wrote an article on the Dukan diet: How the Dukan Diet works – The French diet that is supposed to end the obesity epidemic
- I started with a 5-day "attack phase" (Phase 1): Yesterday I finished a five-day “Attack Phase” on the Dukan Diet and lost 6.6 pounds – here's a report on how it went (days 1 to 5)
- I went through 25 weeks of "cruise phase" (Phase 2) and lost a total of 52 pounds, going from 221.0 pounds down to 175.4. (Days 6 through 179). You can see my before and after photos and a summary of my cruise phase exploits on this page.
- I am now on my fourth week of "consolidation phase" (Phase 3), where I am trying to eat more normally and maintain my weight. You can see what happened in previous weeks here:
- Week 1 (I lost 0.2 pounds - 175.2)
- Week 2 (I gained 2.2 pounds - 177.4)
- Week 3 (I gained 2.8 pounds - 181.2)
Here is how this week unfolded:
Day 201 -
- On the scale this morning I weigh 181.2.
- My main goal this week is to get "back on the wagon" and see if I can reduce my weight back down to 175 over the next couple of weeks. So today has been a pure protein day with no transgressions. I ate half a pound of salmon, a pound of and a half chicken, an eggbeaters omelet, 12 ounces of lunch meat and 2 cups of cottage cheese. About 1900 calories.
- I walked a mile today.
Day 202 -
- I weigh 180.6 this morning. I had hoped for a big loss of weight today, but I will take what I can get. It's nice to be heading in the right direction.
- Today I ate a pound of chicken, half a pound of tilapia, a pound of steak, 2 cups of cottage cheese, 2 cups of plain yogurt, 3 cups of frozen berries (blue, straw and rasp), 200 calories of peanuts, 4 ounces of lunch meat and an eggbeaters omelet. About 2,800 calories
- Today is Veterans day, so the kids are out of school today and had a sleep-over last night. They requested a pancake breakfast (at like 6AM - ug), which I made. And I managed not to eat any.
- No exercise to speak of
Day 203 -
- On the scale this morning I weigh 179.8. Again it is nice to be heading in the right direction.
- Today was not a great day on the calorie front. I ate a half pound of chicken, a pound of salmon, 2 cups of cottage cheese, 2 cups of plain yogurt, 3 cups of berries, 200 calories of peanuts, 4 ounces of lunch meat, an eggbeaters omelet, and then... there were leftover pancakes from yesterday in the refrigerator calling my name, and I succumbed. Maybe 500 or 600 calories of pure carbs. Calorie intake for the day was about 2,600.
- No exercise to speak of today.
Day 204 -
- Thanks to the carbs yesterday (I assume), on the scale this morning I weighed 181.0. Sheesh.
- So... About the day after Leigh came home from Savannah she was engulfed in a terrible cold. By yesterday afternoon I was starting to experience the first signs of infection myself, and overnight the virus was fully engaged in attack. Today is yucky - a flood of mucus of biblical proportions in nose and throat. I used Sudafed to try to stem the flow.
- Between feeling not-too-great, plus the effects of Sudafed, plus being outside all day working in the yard and on the treehouse, I ate very little today: a pound of tilapia, a real omelet and 4 slices of lunch meat. Less than 1,000 calories for the day, plus a good amount of motion although no real exercise.
Day 205 -
- On the scale this morning I weigh 177.8. That is almost assuredly a loss of water from the lack of salt yesterday, plus the carbs from the pancakes apparently took leave as well.
- Today the virus, the Suadfed and the treehouse continues. I ate half a pound of tilapia, a pound of chicken, 400 calories of peanuts and walnuts, a cup of plain yogurt, 2 cups of blueberries and a box of antioxidant vegetables. About 1,500 calories.
- We took a family walk of about 2 miles.
- The virus moved down into the lungs by evening.
Day 206 -
- This morning on the scale I weigh 176.4.
- The virus continues. Yuck. But by afternoon it had transformed itself into something more unpleasant. A lot of coughing and not a lot of breathing, like an asthama attack. My doctor couldn't see me but recommended another, and I spent 3 hours in a doctor's office breathing albuterol mist and getting a chest x-ray plus some prescriptions. Now I am able to breathe again.
- Today I ate half a pound of tilapia, a pound of chicken, a cup of plain yogurt and 2 cups of blueberries, an eggbeaters omelet and a box of antioxidant vegetables. About 1,400 calories.
- No exercise at all today.
Day 207 -
- On the scale this morning I weigh 176.2. I lost about 5 pounds for the week.
I'm not sure what to say about this week. I am very pleased to have my weight under control again. However, I really could have done without getting sick. But in a "making lemonade out of lemons" mindset, it has given me control over my eating again, which had gotten off track from too much restaurant food last week.
Perhaps it is time to shoot for 170 with this renewed control? I mentioned on this page that the American Heart Associations "Life Check" calculator wants me to get to 173 or lower. We will see.
- Yesterday I finished a five-day “Attack Phase” on the Dukan Diet – here's a report on how it went
- I have finished the first five days of the “Cruise Phase” on the Dukan Diet – here is a report on how it went, plus a menu for a typical protein day
- I have finished my second week on the Dukan Diet “Cruise Phase” and lost 5.4 pounds during the past seven days. Here is a report on how it went, and a “secret ingredient” that may have helped.
- A report on week 3 of the Dukan Diet Cruise Phase. The whole thing has become a straightforward habit, and the weight loss seems very consistent
- I finished my fourth week in the Dukan Diet Cruise Phase and lost another 2.4 pounds – plus I saw an amazingly good blood pressure reading
- I have finished my fifth week in the Dukan diet cruise phase and lost another 3.0 pounds – and now I know the secret to avoiding calories in an Italian restaurant
- In my sixth week on the Dukan Diet Cruise phase I lost “only” 1.8 pounds, and I am now halfway to my 50 pound goal
- Today I finished my seventh week on the Dukan Diet cruise phase and lost 2.6 pounds – I have almost broken through the 200 pound barrier
- Dukan diet Cruise Phase Week 8 – wherein I learn the perils of parties
- Dukan diet Cruise Phase (Phase 2) week 9 – I've lost 32.0 pounds with no “plateaus”
- Dukan diet Cruise Phase (Phase 2) week 10 – Lesson: Don't eat smoked turkey legs!
- Dukan diet Cruise Phase (Phase 2) week 11 – Are my kidneys failing? Is my cholesterol exploding? Plus vacation.
- Dukan diet Cruise Phase (Phase 2) week 12 – Vacation transgressions take their toll and I gain weight for first time
- Dukan diet Cruise Phase (Phase 2) week 13 – I get back on track and lose 3.2 pounds in a week
- Dukan diet Cruise Phase (Phase 2) week 14 – I lost 0.4 pounds this week
- Dukan diet Cruise Phase (Phase 2) week 15 – I lost 2.8 pounds this week, 40.2 pounds since starting diet
- Dukan diet Cruise Phase (Phase 2) week 16 – I lost 2.0 pounds, have reached my Dukan target weight
- Dukan diet Cruise Phase (Phase 2) week 17 – I lost 0.8 pounds, learned to stay out of Cici's
- Dukan diet Cruise Phase (Phase 2) week 18 – I lost 3.4 pounds, now in striking range of the 170s
- Dukan diet Cruise Phase (Phase 2) week 19 – One really good day and one really bad day
- Dukan diet Cruise Phase (Phase 2) week 20 – I tasted the 170s for one day and it felt great
- Dukan diet Cruise Phase (Phase 2) week 21 – I hit the 50.0 milestone and reaffirmed the power of asparagus
- Dukan diet Cruise Phase (Phase 2) week 22 – Yikes! I gained 2.0 pounds rather than losing weight
- Dukan diet Cruise Phase (Phase 2) week 23 – I lost 3.6 pounds and now fit into 32-inch pants
- Dukan diet Cruise Phase (Phase 2) week 24 – I am a little bit stuck this week
- Dukan diet Cruise Phase (Phase 2) week 25 – I have reached 175 pounds, before and after pictures, heading to Phase 3!
- What is your “ideal weight” if you want to be healthy?
- What if everything that we are taught about carbs is actually propaganda?
- How much does the Dukan Diet cost per day?
- Today I officially reached the “50.0 pounds lost” milestone on my Dukan Diet journey – and you can too
- How does your appearance change when you become obese?
- Drew Carey loses 80 pounds with a no-carb diet
- Would you like to lose weight? Video shows the latest science on what works and doesn't
- How to do proper crunches to (theoretically) get six-pack abs
- What can you do when you “get stuck” at some weight plateau on the Dukan diet (or any diet)
- How Carbohydrates Don't Work – in fact, carbs are probably causing the obesity epidemic. If you are overweight, it is probably the carbs.
- All the dire warnings I have gotten about the Dukan diet have turned out to be wrong
- Very cool calculator for calculating your specific dietary needs – Protein, carbs, fat, vitamins, etc.
- How Treadmills and Exercise Bikes Don't Work – if weight loss is your goal, High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is a better option
- This has got to be the easiest weight loss tip ever
- When a person is fat, how is the fat distributed in the body (amazing x-rays)?
- Why America is obese #1 and Why America is obese #2 and Why America is obese #3
- How Seitan (also know as Wheat Meat) Works - a vegetarian form of protein made from wheat gluten
- How to make tofu
- How to make Greek yogurt at home and cut your yogurt costs in half and I made half a gallon of Greek yogurt this weekend – talk about cheap and easy! And Tasty!
If you would like to follow Brainstuff on Twitter or Facebook, here are the links: