Here is my journey so far with the Dukan Diet:
- I wrote an article on the Dukan diet: How the Dukan Diet works – The French diet that is supposed to end the obesity epidemic
- I started with a 5-day "attack phase" (Phase 1): Yesterday I finished a five-day “Attack Phase” on the Dukan Diet and lost 6.6 pounds – here's a report on how it went (days 1 to 5)
- I went through 25 weeks of "cruise phase" (Phase 2) and lost a total of 52 pounds, going from 221.0 pounds down to 175.4. (Days 6 through 179). You can see my before and after photos and a summary of my cruise phase exploits on this page.
- I am now on my second week of "consolidation phase" (Phase 3). This week included a road trip, several restaurant meals, Halloween, etc., so I did gain some weight. 2.2 pounds to be exact. But it could have been worse, and in fact it was - at its worst, I was 5 pounds up. I am now working to take that weight back off. Here is how the week unfolded...
Day 186 –
- On the scale this morning I lost 1.4 pounds and now weigh 175.2.
- Today I ate half a pound of salmon, half a pound of Tilapia, 2 cups of cottage cheese, 3 cups of plain yogurt, 4 cups of various frozen strawberries, raspberries and blueberries, 400 calories of peanuts and walnuts, an eggbeaters omelet and 4 ounces of lunch meat. Maybe 2,300 calories.
- I got no exercise today. It rained almost the entire day, and there was a big load of driving-kids-all-over-town tonight because Leigh had a class.
Day 187 –
- On the scale this morning I gained 0.4 pounds and now weigh 175.6.
- Today I ate half a pound of chicken, a cup of cottage cheese, a 2 cups of plain yogurt, 3 cups of frozen berries, 4 cups of popcorn, an eggbeaters omelet, 400 calories of peanuts and walnuts and 8 ounces of lunch meat. I also fixed chicken soup with real dumplings for the family dinner tonight, and ate one of the dumplings. I made everything from scratch, so I know that this dumpling contained a tenth of a cup of flour (plus a little egg, milk, salt and seasoning). About 2,100 calories for the day.
- For exercise I walked 2 miles today and rode the exercise bike for 400 calories. Watched episode 13 of Lost while riding.
Day 188 –
- So... I would have expected to lose weight today, but I was wrong. I mean, I didn't eat excessively and I got a lot of exercise. Instead, I gained 2.4 pounds and now weigh 178.0.
- This reminds me of Day 168. So I looked back at Day 167. On Day 167 I also ate 4 cups of popcorn and 8 ounces of lunch meat. Maybe that is a deadly combination? It has to be pure water weight, so we will see how long it takes for it to come back off.
- Today I ate a pound and a half of chicken, 2 cups of cottage cheese, 2 cups of plain yogurt, 3 cups of frozen berries, 400 calories of peanuts and walnuts, an eggbeaters omelet, 4 ounces of lunch meat, 2 cups of fresh broccoli and a box of vegetables. About 2,400 calories.
- The fresh broccoli was on sale so I bought a big bag. Seems like it should be a healthy thing to munch on. Between that, the vegetables, the fruit, the plain yogurt and the nuts... it is funny to compare my post-Dukan eating habits with what I was eating in my prior life. This feels pretty healthy.
- No exercise today to speak of.
Day 189 –
- I gained 0.2 pounds today and now weigh 178.2. I don't really know what is causing weight to go up, but I assume it will figure itself out over the next day or two.
Day 190, 191 –
- Over the weekend I drove up to Washington DC to visit with and old friend and his fiance, and together we went to the Rally to Restore Sanity. I left North Carolina around 3AM Saturday morning, which meant that I didn't do my normal morning update of this blog. I didn't take a computer with me, nor did I have a scale, and it was kind of nice to be "on vacation" since I was with friends in DC, so I didn't record anything over the weekend or on Monday morning.
- But to kind of summarize, I was fairly good, except that most meals were eaten in restaurants. Also, there was a lot of snacking. This meant that over the weekend I had some rice, some potato chips, some cheddar cheese popcorn, some potatoes, some trail mix, more apple pie than I should have (my friend made it and wow was it good), etc.
- And then Sunday was Halloween, and I took the kids trick-or-treating after getting back from DC. The trick or treating part was fine, but when they got done they went to a friend's house to dump out their bags and tally the loot. I sat on the porch with the friend's father, handing out candy to dozens of trick-or-treaters (it was a gorgeous night and there were a million kids out). So I am sitting on the porch, and here is a big bowl of candy we are handing out, and... oh, what the heck... what could one piece of candy hurt? What it could hurt is that I haven't had anything chocolate in 6 months, and wow does chocolate taste good! Once I ate one piece, I ate another, and another. Probably when it was all said and done, over the course of an hour or so, I ate 15 or so pieces of candy. Not my shiniest moment. But it did taste good.
Day 192 –
- This morning I weigh 180.2, which is probably better than I expected given that I weighed 178.2 on Friday morning. Still, I am not particularly happy to be 5 pounds heavier than a week ago.
- So today I resolved to use my Dukan training and be good. Today I ate a pound of chicken, half a pound of salmon, 2 cups of cottage cheese, a regular omelet, an egg beaters omelet and 400 calories of peanuts and walnuts. About 1,900 calories for the day.
- I didn't get much exercise today, but let me point out that I did walk about 6 miles over the weekend.
Day 193 –
- On the scale this morning I weigh 177.4. I gained 2.2 pounds for the week. But that is a lot better than gaining 5.0 pounds, which is where I was yesterday.
If you look back at the weekend, I was pretty much a "normal American" for 2 days. I ate in restaurants, I snacked, I ate a bunch of Halloween candy, etc. And I did gain 5 pounds during the week as a result. But then I got back on the Dukan program for a single day and took off more than half of that weight. Which is pretty good - one day of pure protein and I dropped almost 3 pounds. That leads me to believe that a couple more days of pure protein may have me right back to 175. We can see if that really happens.
One other funny thing happened today. I have a friend from the west coast who came into town. He stopped by the house this morning around 6:45AM so we could take a walk together and catch up. He is on the Dukan diet after reading this blog (he lost 7 pounds during his attack phase, and he was already in excellent shape), and it was fun talking to him.
When we got done walking I offered to cook him breakfast. We had eggbeaters omelets and chicken breasts. Do you know how nice it is to cook for and share a meal with someone who is on the Dukan diet??? You don't have to explain why you are eating this way, or apologize for it... and the other person completely understands why you are mixing oat bran into the omelet and wants some in his as well! It was awesome.
So, my goal is to be good this week and see if I can get back to 175 after this week's transgressions. We will see how it goes...
- Yesterday I finished a five-day “Attack Phase” on the Dukan Diet – here's a report on how it went
- I have finished the first five days of the “Cruise Phase” on the Dukan Diet – here is a report on how it went, plus a menu for a typical protein day
- I have finished my second week on the Dukan Diet “Cruise Phase” and lost 5.4 pounds during the past seven days. Here is a report on how it went, and a “secret ingredient” that may have helped.
- A report on week 3 of the Dukan Diet Cruise Phase. The whole thing has become a straightforward habit, and the weight loss seems very consistent
- I finished my fourth week in the Dukan Diet Cruise Phase and lost another 2.4 pounds – plus I saw an amazingly good blood pressure reading
- I have finished my fifth week in the Dukan diet cruise phase and lost another 3.0 pounds – and now I know the secret to avoiding calories in an Italian restaurant
- In my sixth week on the Dukan Diet Cruise phase I lost “only” 1.8 pounds, and I am now halfway to my 50 pound goal
- Today I finished my seventh week on the Dukan Diet cruise phase and lost 2.6 pounds – I have almost broken through the 200 pound barrier
- Dukan diet Cruise Phase Week 8 – wherein I learn the perils of parties
- Dukan diet Cruise Phase (Phase 2) week 9 – I've lost 32.0 pounds with no “plateaus”
- Dukan diet Cruise Phase (Phase 2) week 10 – Lesson: Don't eat smoked turkey legs!
- Dukan diet Cruise Phase (Phase 2) week 11 – Are my kidneys failing? Is my cholesterol exploding? Plus vacation.
- Dukan diet Cruise Phase (Phase 2) week 12 – Vacation transgressions take their toll and I gain weight for first time
- Dukan diet Cruise Phase (Phase 2) week 13 – I get back on track and lose 3.2 pounds in a week
- Dukan diet Cruise Phase (Phase 2) week 14 – I lost 0.4 pounds this week
- Dukan diet Cruise Phase (Phase 2) week 15 – I lost 2.8 pounds this week, 40.2 pounds since starting diet
- Dukan diet Cruise Phase (Phase 2) week 16 – I lost 2.0 pounds, have reached my Dukan target weight
- Dukan diet Cruise Phase (Phase 2) week 17 – I lost 0.8 pounds, learned to stay out of Cici's
- Dukan diet Cruise Phase (Phase 2) week 18 – I lost 3.4 pounds, now in striking range of the 170s
- Dukan diet Cruise Phase (Phase 2) week 19 – One really good day and one really bad day
- Dukan diet Cruise Phase (Phase 2) week 20 – I tasted the 170s for one day and it felt great
- Dukan diet Cruise Phase (Phase 2) week 21 – I hit the 50.0 milestone and reaffirmed the power of asparagus
- Dukan diet Cruise Phase (Phase 2) week 22 – Yikes! I gained 2.0 pounds rather than losing weight
- Dukan diet Cruise Phase (Phase 2) week 23 – I lost 3.6 pounds and now fit into 32-inch pants
- Dukan diet Cruise Phase (Phase 2) week 24 – I am a little bit stuck this week
- Dukan diet Cruise Phase (Phase 2) week 25 – I have reached 175 pounds, before and after pictures, heading to Phase 3!
- What is your “ideal weight” if you want to be healthy?
- What if everything that we are taught about carbs is actually propaganda?
- How much does the Dukan Diet cost per day?
- Today I officially reached the “50.0 pounds lost” milestone on my Dukan Diet journey – and you can too
- How does your appearance change when you become obese?
- Drew Carey loses 80 pounds with a no-carb diet
- Would you like to lose weight? Video shows the latest science on what works and doesn't
- How to do proper crunches to (theoretically) get six-pack abs
- What can you do when you “get stuck” at some weight plateau on the Dukan diet (or any diet)
- How Carbohydrates Don't Work – in fact, carbs are probably causing the obesity epidemic. If you are overweight, it is probably the carbs.
- All the dire warnings I have gotten about the Dukan diet have turned out to be wrong
- Very cool calculator for calculating your specific dietary needs – Protein, carbs, fat, vitamins, etc.
- How Treadmills and Exercise Bikes Don't Work – if weight loss is your goal, High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is a better option
- This has got to be the easiest weight loss tip ever
- When a person is fat, how is the fat distributed in the body (amazing x-rays)?
- Why America is obese #1 and Why America is obese #2 and Why America is obese #3
- How Seitan (also know as Wheat Meat) Works - a vegetarian form of protein made from wheat gluten
- How to make tofu
- How to make Greek yogurt at home and cut your yogurt costs in half and I made half a gallon of Greek yogurt this weekend – talk about cheap and easy! And Tasty!
If you would like to follow Brainstuff on Twitter or Facebook, here are the links: