The video is entitled “Amazing Animated Optical Illusions!”, and they are amazing. With a static image and a movable grating, you can create simple animations:
This book is mentioned in the video’s description:
There is a series of children’s books that takes advantage of the technique. The book Gallop! is seen here:
Here is a video that explains how to make these animations yourself, and how they work:
You can see that the technique involves hiding the unused frames of the animation behind the black bars in the grid. Seems like the technique would be perfect for cheap animated outdoor advertising displays, but the black bars tend to make the image pretty dark. Opaque white bars might improve the contrast.
One name given to the technique is “Scanimations”. Here is a piece of software that helps with scanimation creation:
Apparently the software can be hard to find. This is one listed source from Reddit: http://wisecodes.com/Download/Scanimation_Creation_v1.1.zip. A Google search for that file name may also yield results.
More cool optical illusions:
- Three great optical illusions on video
- A great optical illusion – the diamonds that change colors
- Today’s optical illusion is brought to you by the color Yellow
- Two optical illusions for your viewing pleasure
- A most impressive optical illusion
- Seven great optical illusions
- the perception of images