About Holly Frey
Holly is a busy bee. When she's not editing articles at HowStuffWorks.com, she's usually sewing something or running. But she still finds time to ravenously devour more than her fair share of television, film and video games. She's also a crazy cat lady.
Most Recent: Holly Frey Postings
Today was day two of E3. It was also the day game four of the Stanley Cup finals was happening at the Staples Center (RIGHT NEXT to the LA Convention Center that hosts E3) AND the day that the president was coming to Beverly Hills. In short, Los Angeles became mayhem. THAT was fun. Leaving […]
Both Tracy and I are dyed-in-the-wool fans of pretty much everything Joss Whedon does, and we’re definitely not alone. Why do his fans adore him, even though he often drags them through the emotional wringer? Will all of the heroes in “The Avengers” survive intact? Spoiler alert: We’re going to talk about all the things […]
by Holly Frey | April 9, 2012
There are so many things we didn’t get to in this podcast! Ultra marathoners, the polarizing effect of Dean Karnazes, Eddie Izzard’s 43 marathons for charity — the list goes on. And even so, it’s a long episode. Here’s what we DID manage to cover: The Color Run, and how you can maybe manage to […]
by Holly Frey | February 23, 2012
It’s Oscar time! We had been thinking of doing what everyone else does, a show about the nominees for Best Film, but the field is huge. Instead, we focused on my favorite category: costumes! I kind of feel like this episode is a guilty pleasure, because I really can yap about costumes for hours on […]
by Holly Frey | February 21, 2012
We have established that Tracy is in fact a real woman and not a drag queen. But we both sure do adore drag queens! The verve, the sparkle, the glamor — what’s not to love? We do a quick rundown on the differences between drag, transvestism and transgender. RuPaul confuses us by using the same […]
by Holly Frey | October 14, 2011
What lucky ducks we are to have so many things to entertain us. I think we both felt a little guilty about categorizing this as a problem. Once we got past that feeling that we’re horrible people, here’s what we talked about.
Recent Postings by Category
- Thank You and Best Wishes to Marshall Brain
- Contest – Design a $300 house and win $25,000
- How the Philtrum works – the place under your nose where your face comes together
The Coolest Stuff on the Planet
- Why can a 5 foot 8 inch man dunk a basketball on a 10 foot rim while some people of taller stature can’t?
- What happens to our sun once it runs out of fuel?
- How do we know the age of the universe?
Stuff Mom Never Told You
Stuff to Blow Your Mind
- Blow Your Mind: Slay Your Paper Tigers
- Space Religion: Cao Dai and the 72 Inhabited Exoplanets
- Blow the Mind: Objects of Love
Stuff You Should Know
- “In The Neighborhood” by Jon Stewart Mosman
- “Thanatos” by Christopher Vincola
- “Frame Story” by Adam Pracht
The Stuff of Genius
- Show Notes: Heart-stopping Last Laps of Racing
- Never say Never: Jaguar XJ220 Spotted in the Wild!
- What’s your pick for the 2013 Indianapolis 500 pace car?
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 152: Final Episodes
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 151: Mailbag!
- PopStuff Show Notes: Episode 150: Barbie!
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know
Stuff to Change the World
- Who will own the Arctic?
- Obesity: The New Global Crisis
- Bill Gates Makes For A Pretty Decent Cartoon
Stuff You Missed in History Class
- Missed in History: The Axman of New Orleans Part 1
- Missed in History: Sei Shonagon
- Missed in History: The Boston Massacre