If you watch “Futurama” or “Warehouse 13,” you’ve probably heard the name “Farnsworth.” (And if you’re a “Warehouse 13” fan and an iPhone person, you may even have the old iOS app to turn your iPhone into a virtual Farnsworth device.) Philo T. Farnsworth essentially invented television in his head when he was still a teenager, and he started filing patent applications for his invention in 1927. But, in a story similar to the invention of the sewing machine, what came after involved legal land-grabs and some shady business.
Our listener mail today is two pieces of mail on our Crystal Palace podcast. One is from Laura, and the other is from Richard.
For more knowledge: Top 10 Technological Innovations in TV Broadcasting
Episode link: Philo T. Farnsworth
- “Philo T. Farnsworth.” Explore Capitol Hill. Architect of the Capitol. http://www.aoc.gov/capitol-hill/national-statuary-hall-collection/philo-t-farnsworth
- “Philo Taylor Farnsworth.” 2013. The Biography Channel website. http://www.biography.com/people/philo-t-farnsworth-40273
- Bradley, Martha Sonntag. “Philo T. Farnsworth’s Invention.” Utah History to Go. http://historytogo.utah.gov/utah_chapters/from_war_to_war/philotfarnsworthsinvention.html
- Godfrey, Donald. “Farnsworth, Philo.” Museum of Broadcast Communications. http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/F/htmlF/farnsworthp/farnsworthp.htm
- Saperstein, Susan. “Philo Farnsworth and Green Street.” Guidelines. http://www.sfcityguides.org/public_guidelines.html?article=343&submitted=TRUE&srch_text=&submitted2=&topic=Inventions
- Schwartz, Evan I. “Televisionary.” Wired. http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/10.04/farnsworth_pr.html
- Virtual Museum of the City of San Francisco. “Inventor Philo T. Farnsworth.” http://sfmuseum.net/hist10/philo.html
You can listen to Stuff You Missed in History Class via iTunes, Stitcher or the Stuff You Missed in History Class RSS feed. Follow us on Twitter at @missedinhistory, and you can keep up with us on the official Stuff You Missed in History Class Facebook page. We’re also on Tumblr and Pinterest.