Funny thing about this episode. Holly and I finished up in the studio and went back to our desks, and within moments I found in the “in” pile … the June/July issue of History Magazine, which features an article by Chuck Lyons called “The Mystery of the Mary Celeste.” Clearly, something’s in the water. Or, in the air, as one of the popular theories about what happened to the Mary Celeste’s crew and passengers suggests.
Our listener mail is from Carrie. It’s actual mail, and it came with a fantastic present.
For further reading: How the Bermuda Triangle Works
A link to the episode: The Cursed Mary Celeste
- ABC News. “’Ghost Ship’ Found Off Haiti.” http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=98354&page=1#.UayvS3cmySo
- BBC News. “Famous Ghost Ship Found.” Aug. 9, 2001. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/1482337.stm
- Blumberg, Jess. “Abandoned Ship: the Mary Celeste.” Smithsonian. November 2007. http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/abandoned-200711.html
- Lee, Adrian. “Solved: The Mystery of the Mary Celeste.” University College of London News. May 20, 2006. http://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/inthenews/itn060522
- Lockett, Jerry. “Oliver Deveau’s Unexpected Adventure.” The Chronicle Herald. July 29, 2012. http://thechronicleherald.ca/thenovascotian/121936-oliver-deveau-s-unexpected-adventure
- National Underwater and Marine Agency. “Mary Celeste.” http://www.numa.net/expeditions/mary-celeste/
- New York Times. “Conspiracy to Wreck a Brig.” May 30, 1885. http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F40B1EFE3F5D10738DDDA90B94DD405B8584F0D3
- Smithsonial Channel. “The True Story of the Mary Celeste.” http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/sc/web/show/130102/the-true-story-of-the-mary-celeste#the-true-story-of-the-mary-celeste
You can listen to Stuff You Missed in History Class via iTunes, Stitcher or the Stuff You Missed in History Class RSS feed. Follow us on Twitter at @missedinhistory, and you can keep up with us on the official Stuff You Missed in History Class Facebook page. We’re also on Tumblr and Pinterest.