Loving v. Virginia is one of the cases that has come up frequently in the context of the Proposition 8 and Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) cases currently before the U.S. Supreme Court. Richard and Mildred Loving were married in Washington, D.C., in 1958, but they lived in Virginia, where it was illegal at the time for a white person to be married to someone of another race.
This is the first part a two-part episode. It’s about the Lovings and their marriage, and the events that put them on the path to a Supreme Court case. Part two will get into the Supreme Court case itself and its legacy.
Our listener mail is from Zelda, who wrote a particularly well-timed message to us about racism in “Bioshock Infinite,” along with a request to talk about Thurgood Marshall in a future episode.
Our article we referenced: How the Civil Rights Movement Worked
Episode link: Loving v. Virginia, Part 1
Here’s my research on this one.
- ACLU: Attorney Philip Hirschkop Discusses the Landmark Loving v. Virginia Case http://www.aclu.org/racial-justice/attorney-philip-hirschkop-discusses-landmark-loving-v-virginia-case
- ACLU: Loving v. Virginia: The Case Over Interracial Marriage http://www.aclu.org/racial-justice/loving-v-virginia-case-over-interracial-marriage
- All Things Considered: Loving Decision: 40 Years of Interracial Unions http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=10889047
- Biography.com. Mildred Loving. http://www.biography.com/people/mildred-loving-5884
- Gold, Susan Dudley. “Supreme Court Milestones: Loving v. Virginia: Lifting The Ban Against Interracial Marriage.” Marshall Cavindish Benchmark. 2008.
- HBO Documentary Films: “The Loving Story” trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h62ZBiHNJoM
- Martin, Douglas. “Mildred Loving, Who Battled Ban on Mixed-Race Marriage, Dies at 68” New York Times. May 6, 2008. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/06/us/06loving.html
- Our Documents: 14th Amendment to the Constitution (Civil Rights) http://www.ourdocuments.gov/doc.php?flash=true&doc=43
- Rothman, Lily. “Love Supreme: An Interracial Romance Triumphs in 1960s Virginia.” http://life.time.com/history/richard-and-mildred-loving-grey-villet-photos-1966/?iid=lf|moreon#1
- Sheppard, Kate. “’The Loving Story’” How an Interracial Couple Changed a Union.” Mother Jones. Feb.13, 2012. http://www.motherjones.com/media/2012/02/the-loving-story-documentary-hbo
- The Oyez Project at IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law. 29 March 2013. http://www.oyez.org/cases/1960-1969/1966/1966_395
- Wood v. Commonwealth, Virginia Supreme Court http://va.findacase.com/research/wfrmDocViewer.aspx/xq/fac.19321117_0040015.VA.htm/qx
- REYNOLDS v. UNITED STATES. The Oyez Project at IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law. 29 March 2013. http://www.oyez.org/cases/1851-1900/1878/1878_0.
- LovingDay: McLaughlin v. Florida http://www.lovingday.org/mclaughlin-v-florida
You can listen to Stuff You Missed in History Class via iTunes, Stitcher or the Stuff You Missed in History Class RSS feed. Follow us on Twitter at @missedinhistory, and you can keep up with us on the official Stuff You Missed in History Class Facebook page. We’re also on Tumblr and Pinterest.