It’s a hundreds-of-years-old mystery and an xkcd comic: the Voynich Manuscript. (And I forgot about xkcd’s take on it until someone reminded us of it on Twitter earlier today). Maybe it’s a secret book of knowledge. Maybe it’s a cypher text. Maybe it’s just gibberish. No one knows.
This one was Holly’s choice, and here’s her research:
- Voynich Manuscript – Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Beinecke Library Descriptive Catalog Entry
- Materials Analysis of the Voynich Manuscript
- The Voynich Manuscript
- 10 of the World’s Biggest Unsolved Mysteries – The Voynich Manuscript
- ‘Prophet of God’ claims mysterious manuscript’s code has been cracked
- What We Know About the Voynich Manuscript
- Scientific Method Man
Our listener mail is from Emily, who asks a question about the Okichi episode that Holly and Sarah recorded, and why they didn’t mention “Madama Butterfly.” Holly answers.
A link to today’s episode: The Voynich Manuscript.
You can listen to Stuff You Missed in History Class via iTunes, Stitcher or the Stuff You Missed in History Class RSS feed. Follow us on Twitter at @missedinhistory, and you can keep up with us on the official Stuff You Missed in History Class Facebook page.